Help with my first decoder!

pimberman

Hi, guys!

My first post here.:-D

I have a new Minitrix Ice-3 locomotive, --N Scale--
Lenz Gold Mini-D decoder and EZ Command Controller.
I follow step-by-step the EZ Command instructions using an isolated programming track with wirewound resistor 100 Ohms-10 Watts.
When I try to assign a new address for first time, the locomotive slightly moves, and LED in the EZ Command indicates that the programing was successful(supposedly).

But when I test the locomotive in the isolated programing track or in the main layout... nothing!!
The locomotive doesn't work!!
I have tried to place the decoder upwards and downwards without results.
Don't know what I'm doing wrong. :cry:
Or perhaps the EZ Command is unable to program the decoder?:confused:

By the way, is possible a damage if I try to program the decoder without a resistor?
Can you help me?

Thanks

Nomad

I had the ez command too and had the same problem. Double check your decoder installation, take the other locos off the layout track, and program on the main. The decoder doesn't get enough signal with the resistor in line. Make sure the decoder is installed right and the motor is isolated or you might fry the decoder.

Loren

UP SD40-2

...When I try to assign a new address for first time, the locomotive slightly moves, and LED in the EZ Command indicates that the programing was successful(supposedly).
pimberman:wav: , WELCOME to the Gauge:wav: .

i AGREE with grewsome, and would try his advise:up: . the only thing that gets me is you mentioned the loco slightly moved after you programmed it, this usually DOES mean the engine was setup right;) . i am into HO, not N scale, and i use Prodigy Advance, not EZ command, so i am going out on a limb here but i would also recommend programing on the mainline, if EZ command allows it. i would read your decoder instructions and set everything back to factory to begin with;) . if your decoder can read 4 digits, factory # for the engine would be 0003, or if it only is able to read 2 digits it would be 03. see if the engine will run after doing that. REMEMBER, like grewsome mentioned, when programming on the mainline, make sure ALL your other engines are off the track, OR if you have blocked tracks, put them there;) .

thats about the best i can advise you at this time:) , let us know what happens. :) -Deano

Nomad

Deano, mine did that too, but it seemed like with the resistor in line the settings would not hold.

Loren

UP SD40-2

Deano, mine did that too, but it seemed like with the resistor in line the settings would not hold.

Loren
I DON'T doubt you at all Loren;) :) . honestly, i have NEVER used the program track to program ANY of MY 65 sound equipped engines, i have done ALL of them right on the mainline:up: . after thought, i am sure you are probably right, it might have programed, and moved the engine, but didn't hold;) . lets hope this info helps:) -Deano

pimberman

I had the ez command too and had the same problem. Double check your decoder installation, take the other locos off the layout track, and program on the main. The decoder doesn't get enough signal with the resistor in line. Make sure the decoder is installed right and the motor is isolated or you might fry the decoder.

Loren

Loren

Hi Loren!

I think the motor is isolated but I'm not sure, this is a "DCC-Ready" locomotive, the Trix instructions only explain how to remove de (original)
factory decoder (only DC operation) and install DCC decoder. There is nothing about isolating the motor.
Here is a quick pics of the locomotive with the factory DC decoder.

loco-1.jpg

loco-2.jpg

The motor is isolated?

I will check the decoder is installed right.
If the locomotive cannot hold the settings without resistor in the main layout, then is a problem with the EZ Command?
Could you fix the problem with the EZ?

Thanks I appreciate your reply.

Manuel

UP SD40-2

I think the motor is isolated but I'm not sure, this is a "DCC-Ready" locomotive, the Trix instructions only explain how to remove de (original)
factory decoder (only DC operation) and install DCC decoder. There is nothing about isolating the motor.
Here is a quick pics of the locomotive with the factory DC decoder.

loco-1.jpg

loco-2.jpg

The motor is isolated?
pimberman, i know you where directing this question to Loren, but reading what you wrote(i highlighted in BOLD what i am talking about;) ), since the instructions explain HOW TO INSTALL A DCC decoder, i think it would be pretty safe to say the engine IS DCC ready:up:.

Deano, sorry if I sounded defensive. I was only tryng to explain what happened to me.

Loren
Loren, no worries, i DID NOT take what you wrote as being defensive:) . i am MORE THEN HAPPY with ANY help offered:up: :up: :up: fact is, i am not in N scale, and i don't use EZCommand, so i REALLY APPRECIATED the help you gave!:up: :up: :up: :) THANK YOU:) -Deano

Nomad

Actually, I,m in ho too, but the loco looks like it is dcc ready. The pick up wires run up to the board, not the motor and the motor looks like it is insulated in a plastic "cradle". I would say he is good to go.
That is the first time I have seen "under the hood" of a Trix. Looks well designed.

Loren

pimberman

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks both for the welcome and the advice they have been very useful.
I'm going to read carefully the decoder instructions to see if I can put it back in default. :smile:

By the way, I can't see my own message! Only the qoute posted by UP SD40-2 with the pics. :!:

Greetings
:wave:

pimberman

Update

I made it!!bounce7

Both are right!!, the resistor was the problem.

The low current of the resistor is not enough to program the decoder.
The resistor was removed, in the main track I placed the locomotive directly in the connecting track and the loco was programmed in the first try!
Thanks both, I really appreciate your help.:thumb:
I can run my new train.
:wave: :wave:

Nomad

Congrats:-D . It's always a great feeling when something finally works. Enjoy dcc, your gonna love it !

Loren