Help with engine ID please

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I picked this little (N scale) item up on eBay for about $11, but have been unable to identify what it is. It looks very similar to an RS-11, but it's got six axles instead of the RS's four. I've run every kind of search I can think of and some came close but still no cigar. Does anybody have any ideas? Remember some time ago I started a thread confessing to be an engine illiterate? Well, I'm better now but this one has me stumped. :confused: :confused:

sf_side.jpg

sf_front.jpg

sf5.jpg

ps:I don't even know who made it. The only marking is on the bottom of the trucks and says Yugoslavia.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Yugoslavia might indicate Mehano/IHC?

I think the 6-axel "RS" is a RSD-12, a "heavier-dutier" version of the RS-11. DOn't ask how that bit of trivia got into my brain - I am normally a steam guy! ;) :D

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Atlas may have made a RSD-12, but the marking of "Yugoslavia" contradicts the implied manufacter of Atlas' version in Japan (headline of the document in the link you gave).

I would think that my or Ray's suggestions are correct. Most likely Ray - that guy knows his locos! ;)

Andrew

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
Thanks Ray, for finding the info for me. Not sure if it's a dog or a collector's piece. :D :D Then you had to ruin it with that game site. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm on level 7 now and am having a hard time putting it down. :D :D Not sure if I'm cut out to be a structural engineer. It's fun though when the train creeps across your wobbly, rickety bridge and you're not sure if it's going to hold or collapse at the last minute. :D :D :D :D

OOPS! :eek:ops: :eek:ops: Got the game from another thread. :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: Sorry about that.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I just wanted...

...to babble.announce1 I had one of those back when I was about 14yo. I know it's still kickin' about in a box somewhere at muh dad's house or long since trashed. Anyway- I too picked up one on ebay- just because it's different from the run of the mill. It runs. Now if I can only find it's brother.

okay- I'm done now.

Mark

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
eightyeightfan1 said:
I just checked George Elwoods site(http://rr-fallenflags.org). The Sante Fe did have RSD-12's, but all had the low nose.Going on a hunch, and knowing that the N&W(now NS) ordered their locos with high short hoods, I found a pic of an RSD-12 High Nose.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nw/nw252l.jpg

Actually the Santa Fe units were RSD15's better known as "Alligators." I don't know if there was a significant difference between the 12 and the 15. Your red and silver model shows the typical toy train manufacturer's marketing ploy of "paint it with a red and silver warbonnett and watch them sell!" The Alligators on the Santa Fe were built with low short hoods and delivered in black and silver "zebra stripe" scheme. They were later painted with the "cigar band" blue with yellow ends and a yellow stripe near the top of the doors on the long hood. I think a few lasted into the late 60's and may have gotten painted in the blue & yellow frieght warbonnett schome, but I'm not sure about that one. The high hood version is definately a Southeastern prototype, although Pennsy may have had some high hood versions as well.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
Russ Bellinis said:
Actually the Santa Fe units were RSD15's better known as "Alligators." I don't know if there was a significant difference between the 12 and the 15. Your red and silver model shows the typical toy train manufacturer's marketing ploy of "paint it with a red and silver warbonnett and watch them sell!" The Alligators on the Santa Fe were built with low short hoods and delivered in black and silver "zebra stripe" scheme. They were later painted with the "cigar band" blue with yellow ends and a yellow stripe near the top of the doors on the long hood. I think a few lasted into the late 60's and may have gotten painted in the blue & yellow frieght warbonnett schome, but I'm not sure about that one. The high hood version is definitely a Southeastern prototype, although Pennsy may have had some high hood versions as well.
Thanks for the history everyone. Maybe I'll paint it in a rough approximation of the blue & yellow freight warbonnett scheme, weather the hell out of it and set it on a siding by the round house. :D :D

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Ray Marinaccio said:
Russ,
The Pennsy did have the high hood RSD-12 or 15. Some made it into the PC era also.
I have been looking for a couple of the high hood units to model them in PC.

Ray,Pennsy had both as well as the RSD7..:D

Guys ,Those are RSD15 and not the look alike RSD7.

Here is the RSD12

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=76016

RSD7/15
http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/alco/rsd15/xpc6813ef.jpg

Notice the RSD7/12 has a LONGER short hood.

Here is a low hood RSD15.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=53040

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Clark,I had 6 of those RSD15s from 1979-87..Those units was the best running locomotives I had..One could say I ran 'em till they drop as well as the 6 Bachman GP40s,2Bachman F7s,6 Atlas/Kato RS3s and one Minitrix FM switcher..:sign1

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
brakie said:
Clark,I had 6 of those RSD15s from 1979-87..Those units was the best running locomotives I had..One could say I ran 'em till they drop as well as the 6 Bachman GP40s,2Bachman F7s,6 Atlas/Kato RS3s and one Minitrix FM switcher..:sign1
Hmmmm. Maybe I'll have to bring her out of retirement every once in a while. :D :D :D