Help with CN Numbering

CN_Pete

I am currently in the process of repainting and renumbering some HO Steam and Diesel locomotives. Does anyone have information on Canadian National's numbering system
Steam engines are 0-6-0, 0-4-0
Diesel some are RS3

Any information will be appreciated.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Watch your timeframe too...

Lots of steamers were renumbered during their lifetimes. There was a big renumbering in the mid 1950s as diesels began to replace the steamers in ever increasing numbers...

Andrew

Glen Haasdyk

According to my Rail Canada Volume 3 book CN did have RS-3's
road #1859-69 , 3900-01
There may be more I just made a quick look.

Pooh Bah
Pete: check your library for Canadian National Steam Power by Clegg and Corley. There may be a few other available as well. (I know there's a copy in the library in Bramalea.)

doctorwayne

According to the book Canadian National Steam Power, by Anthony Clegg and Ray Corley, the CNR owned seven 0-4-0Ts, numbered 1,3, and 36 to 40. They owned only one 0-4-0, number 2, which was scrapped in 1922. All of the tank engines were gone by 1930.
As for 0-6-0s, there were 459 of them in 1923, 393 in 1933 and 282 in 1943. Numbers ranged from 7000 to 7699, although not all numbers were used. As you can see by the number of locos in service, the totals declined in later years. This was in part due to the introduction of 0-8-0s and later diesel switchers. If you could let me know the area which you're modelling and an approximate time frame, I'll try to give you some more specific locomotive numbers.

Wayne