Help with a strange question

fruitcop

Jan 12, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
Ok, I confess that I know little about trains. I need help with a project. I have picked up a few K-line streamlined Hudsons for display. I can easily add electricity to the display. I have a BASIC K-line transformer. Now here is the question. If the wheels turn(set just a fraction above the tracks, with a contact to the rear of the wheel) with the sound effects work? what is the MININUM that I will need to work the whistle? Who makes it and what is the cost? Yes, I know that this may be a DUMB question. Many thanks.
Robert

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Robert,

I have no idea what a k-line streamlined Husdon it. Only that a Hudson was steam.

What sound affects do you refer to? and what whistle do you refer to?

Are you looking to have the loco's operate (i.e. spin their wheels while stationary) by supporting the loco just above track?

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
First of all, welcome to the mighty GAUGE!:) Is this a three-rail "Lionel"-type locomotive? I'm not too sure, but I think that K-Line makes the big O scale stuff.

As to how to do this, I suspect you'll get a raft of answers from folks more knowlegable than I.;)

fruitcop

Jan 12, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. Well, I don't have room for an O gauge set up yet, but I have always loved the old Dreyfuss Hudsons. So I purchased one. It turned out to have all kinds of sound effects. This one is going into a case, but I would like to be able to blow the whistle (!) Ok so I never grew up completely!!!

I understant that you seem to need a separate control to do this. Just wondering how cheaply I can make it work. No problem to run electricity to the train's contacts, allowing the wheels to spin.

Anyway thanks for the welcome and responses.
Robert

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
Hi Robert,
Welcome to the gauge. I am assuming you have solved the problem of elevating the engine so it doesn't run off the shelf but allows a good electrical connection to operate. I f it has a sound system you need to make sure you have a solid electrical connection. If power is intermittent your engine may seem to be possessed. Before I could try to answer your question about the whistle, I need to know what kind of sound system it has ie: TMCC, Railsounds, etc. Steve

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Hi Robert & Welcome to The-Gauge! :)

I've seen rollers that you can place on the rails that the wheels and center pickups rest on to allow them to turn freely while supplying power. No idea of cost though.

I've seen platforms that have a "button" to press for Sound - but I have no ideaon weather this is an added power supply.