help with a locomotive shops

zachary

Aug 6, 2006
trinity north carolina
hello everyone i am looking to build a locomotve serviceing shops on a five by eight foot layout with a loop of 24 or 26 inch radius around it roadnames are norfolk and western and southern up to the year right before the merger. Other than that i am haveing a mental block on. A what all is in a loco serive faccilite besides a turntable and a roundhouse thanks in advance zachary flowe

Grindar

Mar 7, 2008
I'm guessing HO by the turn radii...
Well, merger was in '82, according to wikipedia, so I'm guessing no steam?
That leaves sand tower and inspection pits? And switches and workshops may look better for the diesels than a roundhouse and turntable, though that's your choice.

Honestly, on a layout that size, it's gonna take up a lot of space.

zachary

Aug 6, 2006
trinity north carolina
well it was going to be 1930 40 up to 82 cause im just not that big of a fan of ns and i like the streamliners so yes there will be steam locos and yes it is ho scale and the loco repair shops was all i was trying to achive with maybe one or two sideings thanks zachary flowe

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
See if you can get a picture of CN's facility in Toronto -- there should be some taken from directly above. This as a roundhouse built inside a reversing loop, with tons of sidings paralleling the sides of the loop.
Along the one side were all the loco servicing facilities until they were blown up (or down). The other side was passenger servicing.
The whole thing disappeared under the world's biggest bedpan, or a football stadium, but it lasted well into the diesel era.

There are some shots here: http://forum.zealot.com/t95762/
on about the second page.

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Just off the top of my head - the engine house with a serious overhead crane, the usual sand, water, diesel and coal facilities, inspection pit, ash pit, a fabrication facility for working on sub-assemblies, machining and such, a paint shop, possibly a wheel repair facility depending on volume of rolling stock/locos, and miscellaneous small storage buildings and other nice-to-have outbuildings, perhaps unique to your outfit. Probably an engine wash stand as wel.

You could take up your entire layout with all this stuff as a working large yard diorama...

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
As a reference, I found the October 2007 issue of Model Railroader Magazine, which features a major article on railroad shops of all types from the simple ones to the big ones operated by major outfits. Lots of pictures and useful information.

zachary

Aug 6, 2006
trinity north carolina
mountain man ill have to look thru my collection of mrr i started in that back in june of last year so i may have that one ill look thru it and get some ideas thanks zachary