Help With A Layout Plan Please!!!

delve@woodlandt

May 22, 2005
Help With A Layout Plan Please!!!

I am requiring a little help. I want to build an n gauge layout in my loft and have a space available of 12 feet by 6 feet. Along the shorter side I can accomodate 2 feet wide base boards, and along the longer sides I can have 18 inch wide boards, which will give me a 3 foot wide operating well in the middle. I am not going to model any particular company (e.g. G.W.R.) or specific time, but just want to be able to run trains! I would like a double track mainline on different levels with bridges etc. Possibly other loops as well. Would anyone be able to give me some ideas for a track plan as I have not been able to come up with anything I like as yet.
The era would be modern possibly of a preserved line so that I could incorporate steam as well as modern image, also to be able to use stock from any area!

Many Thanks,
Kevin Delve

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Kevin,

I see you have made it to the Track Planning forum! I recall from your other message that you are planning a UK based layout.

I would suggest (as I do with everyone) that you think about the industries and features that you would like to incorporate in your space. This will lead to some sort of preliminary track plan, as different industries/features require different amounts of real estate. For example, if you'd like a yard, it would probably be better along part or all of a long side. On the other hand, there is a lot of scenic and/or small industry potential in corners.

Here also (for reference) is a link to your other thread:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=14837

I would strongly encourage you to list your preferences for the layout in more detail. Only a small minority of people seem to be satisfied in the long term with a loop of track and trains that only go round and round.

Andrew