Help! Wiring a Double cross for DCC use

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by rsazz, Nov 22, 2007.

1. rsazz

rsazz New Member

I am new at this and created a layout. I am going to use a DCC set up with the layout because I want to run 2 trains together.

I am ready to wiring the layout and wonder if I need to do something to insulate the inner loop from the outer loop (in the case when there is a train running on each loop) ?? If so, how do I do that?

THe turnout is a Shinohara #6.

Also, any pros and cons about using a Bachmann EZ command DCC unit? I just want it to run the trains, the turn outs will have switches.

Thanks, Rick

Attached Files:

2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Rick: the whole point of DCC is that you don't have to do anything special to run 2 trains.
    The crossover probably needs even less wiring than with DC, although you might need controlled wiring on the frogs. (If they're live. If they're plastic, you don't).
  3. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Rick, I started out with the EZ Command and consider it a good unit. They also have an add on cab so two people can operate. The only reason I changed to NCE, was I got a deal I could not refuse, otherwise I would still be using it.

Loren
  4. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hi..I presume that double-crossover is a commercial unit. If so, it's probably pre-wired for "plug & play" use. You can check it out with a multimeter to see if there are possible shorts depending on the position of the points. You should also wire the switch machines so they operate as a single unit to avoid running trains into closed points. Good luck..!!
  5. rsazz

rsazz New Member

Thanks, guys...

It looks like I have plastic in the frogs, I attached a couple of pictures. So I assume I do not have to do anything special wiring? other than supply power to each loop.

Nomad,
    Can switch be programed with the Bachmann EZ command unit?

Thanks for the help everyone,
    Rick

Attached Files:

• dc1.JPG
      dc1.JPG
      File size:
      43.8 KB
      Views:
    • dc2.JPG
      dc2.JPG
      File size:
      42.4 KB
      Views:
  6. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

It appears you should not have any problems with this unit. As you say, just provide power to each loop. Just make sure that the outside rail of each loop is wired to the same pole.
    It's my understanding that the Bachmann unit does not support stationary decoders which you would need to control the turnouts.
  7. rsazz

rsazz New Member

Can any of you guys tell if my double cross is a DCC friendly one?

I can post better pictures if need be. I'd like to verify this before I start to wire. I really don't know what to look for.

Or if someone has a picture of a DCC friendly one I could compare to, that would help also.

Should I post the question in a different form?

Thanks, Rick
  8. PWRR-2207

PWRR-2207 Rogue Islander

9. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

From what I can see in the pictures, it seems to be "friendly". We would need a picture of the points (the parts that move...) to get a better idea.
  10. rsazz

rsazz New Member

Here are some close up pictures of the points and crossing features.

I tried comparing it to the pictures in the link and some features seem to match, but I question others.

Another thing that I justed noticed while searching Walthers web page is
    the only DDC Friendly double crossover they carry is code 83, this double crossover is code 100. So this raises more question in my mind about the
    double crossover I have.

Thanks again everyone.

Attached Files:

• p1.JPG
      p1.JPG
      File size:
      28.6 KB
      Views:
    • s1.JPG
      s1.JPG
      File size:
      39.8 KB
      Views:
    • c3.JPG
      c3.JPG
      File size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:
    • c2.JPG
      c2.JPG
      File size:
      41 KB
      Views:
    • c1.JPG
      c1.JPG
      File size:
      42 KB
      Views:
    • b1.JPG
      b1.JPG
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
  11. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Rs....The "friendliness" of turnouts has been over-rated (IMHO). The principal aim of a "friendly" turnout is to prevent accidental shorts which in DC can go unnoticed, but in DCC will stop all your trains...or make some go beserk..(Don't ask me how I know...) The principal (that I'm aware of) source for shorts is a metal wheel contacting the open stock rail and the point rail as it goes across. If the point rails and the open stock rail are of opposite polarities, bridging that gap will cause a short. This is the case in your double crossover....:confused: since you have a metal strip joining both point rails. But don't despair....I have a few turnouts like yours and have yet to have any problems (knock on wood..). I think the problems would be with small radius turnouts (#4's) AND longer wheelbase locos or trucks, or older engines that had very thick wheels...

Best way of finding out...Set it up, even on a temporary basis (a length of straight track coming off the ends of the turnouts, wire each track, and let'er rip....(Make sure that all tracks are wired in parallel). Personally, I don't think you'll have any problems....:thumb:
  12. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I'll go with steamhead. I've seen problems but mostly with older stock.
    I suggest that you install your track and run all your locos and cars through the crossover in as many directions as possible. If you get a short, check the car carefully. This should be done before any ballasting or other permanent work. If you get a lot of shorts, you may have to take out the crossover and work on it (or replace it if you don't feel like working on it).
  13. rsazz

rsazz New Member

Thanks for the help guys. I'll set up a test loop to try it out.

Thanks again, Rick