Help! Wiki format issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by rmks2000, Jan 20, 2008.

1. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I've created a new link in the Card Models Wiki, Software for Designing and Coloring, containing a list of various design and paint software. I'm having formatting issues - the word wrap doesn't seem to work.

If anyone can help, please do so. I just don't want to add all the other rows without the word wrap working. BTW, the software will be separated by type - design software, unwrapping software, and coloring software.

Bob
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

oh dang! i totally forgot - will take a look now....
    Chris
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I am not sure if you are specifiying your column widths properly. You are just using numbers to specify width and I dont think that it knows what the numbers are referring too - pixels, percent etc. I would personally use %. I found this to be the most helpful in looking up how to set up tables in the wiki.

Help:Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  4. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I tried percent but it seemed to be ignored. I'll try again.
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

If nothing else, try the pixel one - it seems the most precise. Let me know if you have problems and I will give it a try too. Formatting is about the hardest darn part of the wiki as it SHOULD take standard HTML tags but it doesnt seem to know how to process them half the time.
    Chris
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I have been working on this over the weekend. I think it is working as it should. There just isnt enough screen space to get it to format properly with that amount of data in the width.

I was able to figure it out because here at work I have dual monitors (17 inch) and if I drag the entire wiki page across the screen it formats as desired. The reason that some of them do not wrap the same way is that you dont have any spaces after the comma's for the file types. I think we will need to come up with an alternate way to display the info you want to show. I have an idea or two. I donthave any implemented yet but if you want to see what I have been doing you can click into the WIKI and choose recent changes near the top right. Hope we can work it out because I think this info is GREAT!
    Chris
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

...Just great to see someone working on the wiki ^^ Can't help much, but best of luck.
  8. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Chris,

Thanks for working on it. I'll keep adding the info. I just wish I could expand the comment section more.

Bob
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

10. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

html code works so i would use <br>
  11. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Don't know squat about HTML and all that stuff but the format is certainly usable and gives me helpful information. Love the data you have collected rmks2000! This stuff rocks!

Elliott

Oh, sorry Chris. Your stuff rocks too!
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I just took his stuff and changed the formatting.

RonP - <br> is good but the problem is that it inserts a hard break. I think he wants to use word wrap to maximize the space used along with specifying the width. If I am using a super high resolution (say 1200 width) and most people are using 600 pixel width then I wouldnt be getting the best use of the space because of that hard break. If the space is allocated dynamically then when the browser translates it to the screen it can format it to make best use of space.

I hope that made sense - I am tired as heck.....
    Chris
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

What scares me, is that I understand what you mean, Chris!:mrgreen:

Russell
  14. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

In theory, using the width attribute should enforce wrapping, but it didn't. That was why I took out spaces and added hard breaks to minimize certain columns. I prefer the original format - to me it's easier to read. However, Chris' sample page eliminates the scrolling. I'll do whatever the consensus is.

Bob
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

It couldnt enforce word wrapping (in the manner expected) because there just wasnt enough space on a single computer screen to fit that many columns in one row.

I 100% agree the original idea was far better for comparison purposes but it wasnt feasible even on my 20 inch monitor at home. Maybe on a 24 inch widescreen it would work.... On my dual monitor setup if I opend the browser completely across BOTH screens it wrapped as I would have expected because there is enough screen real estate.

I think the way I formatted it will work OK for comparison purposes but not as well as your original idea. I personally hate scrolling left and right and from a web designer point of reference 75% of people (minimum) will not even bother and will just move on to another page.
    Chris
  16. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I agree, I hate scrolling too. I will update the Wiki as per your design.
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

You can cut and paste my code for the ones I have done :)
    Chris