Help: where to buy this?

gigelus2k3

Apr 2, 2006
Hello,

A while ago I bought from the LHS a Slovenian-made HO train set for my young kid. I am not really into this hobby (crashing RC planes occupies my time), but every other weekend or so I take out the kit (to which I added some rolling stock and various tracks) and build a layout on the floor. After we had our fun, I then disassemble everything and put it back in the box for the next time.

One issue with the temporary layout approach is that the tracks do not stay put very well. However, the original set came with some small plastic clips (see the picture) that hold the tracks together in a very effective way.

It works with both the set tracks and the Atlas tracks I keep buying; basically the rectangular ends fit the notches the tracks have and the o-ring shape acts as a spring that keeps the two tracks together.

Now, I'd like to buy some more, but my LHS (the one that sold the set!) as well as the up-sized Santa Clara (CA) Train Shop do not carry this and, amazingly, the guys there insist that they never saw the clip before. My internet searches were fruitless as well.

Please, does anyone know where to buy this type of clip?

Thank you,

Serban

Attachments

• clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 218

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to The Gauge, Serban:wave:

That is a rather ingenious track clip, I'd love to find them myself. It would be a boon during the planning stage of layout construction. If it can be found, someone here on The Gauge knows where it is.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I think someone asked about these before. I had never seen them, but I think they were included in a set that one of out canadian grocery stores was selling (President's Choice). Not entirely sure. But very definitely a rare item.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
That's correct David, I got a set of them when I bought that set this past christmas. I think it's unique to these manufactuers, and distrubuted by IHC. Don't get mad at the Local hobby shops, I've been in the hobby for a number of years and this was the first time I saw one as well.

gigelus2k3

Apr 2, 2006
nachoman said:
Hello,

Thank you all for the quick and helpful replies. Yes, the set I bought was the "Mogul" by IHC. Although there is no picture, the description of the item from the link above fits the part.

I do have a (dumb?) question, though. All standard HO tracks (I mean, what I saw at the LHS) do have the end notches; of course, the newbie of me thought that their sole purpose is to be used with this type of clip.

What are you, the seasoned train modelers, use the notches for? They are ruining a little the realistic look of the track, so there must be a reason the track makers are designing them in...

Thank you again.

Serban

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I generally try not to have the track that has them. Sectional track used to have full ties all the way to the end, with a little recess for the rail joiner in the end tie.
I don't use the sectional track on my layout -- most of us probably use the longer flexible track sections as it's cheaper and you can do more with it. We don't meed the connectors because the track is pinned or glued down.
But if you're at a point where you're still enjoying taking the track apart and setting it up differently, just enjoy.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Atlas Snap track has always had those notches to clear the rail joiners. Most modelers use flex track, which does not have them, or hand lay their own, so it's never an issue. Your better quality turnouts and accessories don't have them either.

N

nachoman

BTW, if you are just setting up temporary layouts on the carpet, you may look into some of the "roadbed" track - Kato unitrack, bachmann's eztrack and atlas truetrack. I have used the eztrack tor temporary christmas layouts with success.

kevin

gigelus2k3

Apr 2, 2006
lester perry said:
Go to www.redstarrailways.com ask Chris about it he is into foriegn stuff. he may be able to guide you to somewhere to find it.
Les

Hi,

Thank you for the pointer. I already went to the IHC website (IHC is the maker of the train set that came with these clips) and ordered a few bags.

Serban

gigelus2k3

Apr 2, 2006
Hmmm, bag of clips... Dirt-cheap too.

Thanks again, nachoman for the IHC pointer :thumb:

Best regards to all,

Serban

Attachments

• clipbag.jpg
    clipbag.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 94