Help selecting a "first" model?

Grindar

Mar 7, 2008
Hey guys! Kinda new to this area of the forum, spend most of my time over in cartoon/anime and science fiction.

I would like to get started in WWII ship modeling, and am having difficult in selecting a kit to start with. It doesn't help that all of the models I've done to this point have been freebies on the net. The details don't scare me that much, I've done some of Flarebaffled's WH40k models...that guy can model!

I guess I'm looking for something in the cruiser range, as a battleship is definitely much too large for me to start on, and I've yet to see a destroyer model I really liked, though if you guys suggest a good one I will definitely consider it. If Digital Navy finishes up that Fletcher class I'll probably snap it right up. Nationality is not greatly important, though I've never really cared for the lines of the Japanese ships of the era.

Clear diagrams are a must, for something this complex. Directions in English a big plus, of course, though if the diagrams are clear enough I can look past that. The other big thing I ask is that it fit together pretty well...I don't want to have to fabricate a lot of pieces myself, though the oddball piece is ok. I'd much rather have a full hull than a waterline model, but once again, I'm open to suggestion.

The models I'm looking at currently are Modelik's USS Oakland, HMS Chiddingfold or HMS Badsworth[GPM#255], the HMS Glowworm (GPM#229), or this guy http://www.papermodelstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2922

These are just the ones that have caught my eye so far, of course.

Any advice on quality of these kits, especially pertaining to the above criteria, would be great, as would general suggestions about brand.

On a secondary note, where do you guys get the 1, 1.5, and 2 mm card you guys laminate to? In rural mississippi, my options appear to be fairly limited, so what do you guys use? I've actually considered using the cardboard from cereal boxes...

Thanks for any help!

smyfe

Dec 29, 2006
Stourbridge, West Midlands UK
If the ships you listed are the type of model you are after,I would try one from here
http://www.gremirmodels.com/
They are digital models that allow resizing if required, are superb to build and if you mess anything up you can easily reprint any page you like:thumb:
For a first model I would try one of the destroyers, HMS Repulse comes out to nearly 4 feet long:p
P.s. they are also a brilliant price:thumb:

Grindar

Mar 7, 2008
I really like their USS Selfridge, and the Glowworm.

However, the reason why I'd really rather not go with a digital model, is printing it. I don't have access to a decent color printer at the time, and I'm leary of picking up a cheap inkjet, especially with the way inkjets waste ink. I'll peek at what wal-mart's carrying now, all the same...Any recommendations on that front?

What paper/card do they recommend for their models, btw? I need to find a "local" supplier of 67 lb. or so cardstock, all I've got is 110.

I'll probably just buy one without a color printer and just go to town with my Laserjet 5SI...

PS. LOL, I guess I named more destroyers than cruisers anyway :p

redhorse

Dec 28, 2007
McKinney, TX
Well, all of mine are Japanese so kind of rules those out. I agree with you on the Fletcher - I need that one as soon as it's finished! I buy cardboard at papermodelstore.com

jkrenzer

Oct 2, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I built the USS Porter recently, shown on this site. An excellent model. I started with Mady Modelarz's destroyers and will never regret doing so, the card is stffer and thicker than the newer models. The ships actually look pretty good and they are easy enough to hone your skills. Cruisers are too large for first kits simply because you will not be happy with your results, so start small and work up, trust me it is the best way to go.

As far as Japanese destroyers, forget it, they were world class ships, fast and tough but they also were not square, they hae the best sea hulls and were heavily raked. They have too many unique shapes that even the best airplane builders would agree would be difficult to model.

Personally I built the Digital Navy's DE, then V109, then 2 Matty's then finally the USS Portland.

Grindar

Mar 7, 2008
Has anyone done either the GPM Glowworm or the Selfridge that I linked to? Those are the two I've narrowed it down to, as far as pre-printed models go. I figure I can always just xerox those to practice before assembling, and it should still be cheaper than a new printer. But I haven't had time to go to the store to scope out what's available.

Grindar

Mar 7, 2008
OK, I've worked out color printer access, at least to a decent one...I assume Gremir's software doesn't have trouble with a network shared printer? What about a PDF printer for editing sizes and whatnot?

How much can one expect to blow it up sticking to a sheet of 8.5 x 11? I don't mind photoshopping individual pieces onto a sheet of cardstock, I'm just leery of joints in the middle of decks and whatnot.

Grindar

Mar 7, 2008
On the printer question, looks like the registration code contains a list of your installed printers, and they allow whichever ones that look like hardware printers, my pdf and poster printers don't work in it.

I ordered the selfridge, by the way, from Gremir, pretty sure it's the same as the one I linked, as that's Gremir's publisher, apparently.

'Bout halfway through constructing the frame.

What advice can you guys give me for the hull plating, and making it look right?