Help! Seeking opinion on Brass Loco

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Hey all, I'm in a dilemma. Have been seeking a streamlined K4 to add to the roster... Apparently only exists in brass -- which I know little to nothing about.

I've found one that's not stratospherically expensive yet -- I say yet because it's on Ebay and is at $500 with the reserve not yet met. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=78178&item=5938146599&rd=1

I wonder if anyone would take a look and give me their thoughts. Some things I don't know:

Visually, is this a decent example of a brass loco? Are there any indicators a brass afficianado would note good, bad or otherwise?

What's felt to be a reasonable price for this?

Is the brand in question - Katsumi - considered good, moderate, poor?

Any thoughts on whether it would be easy, medium, difficult or impossible to install a DCC decoder in it?

Thanks in advance! Auction ends in 7 hours so not much time, I realize. Sorry...

Kris

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Katsumi was a good builder when most of the brass came from Japan. They tended to be a little "heavy handed" detail wise but were virtual tanks - good runners and stood up to heavy usage. IMHO a good "runner" not necessarily display model. Hard to say about colors but the model looks a little too green for me. Brunswick green really wasn't green unless you count that 1 gal of green in a 55 gal drum of black <VBG> I'm guessing it has a open frame motor - ok unless you plan to go to DCC where current limits and isolation almost dictate a can motor.

Jerry
former custom painter for 10 years.

chapmon

Dec 29, 2002
Longview, TX
Visit site
Prr-k4

I don't know about the loco's value, but I've dealt with Don Black before, and he is as honorable as they come. I've talked with him on the phone, and he is a very honest straight shooter when it comes to the business.

The other fellows are right about Katsumi, in that they were a pretty good brass manufacturer.

MKTMIKE

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Thanks all, I ended up not bidding - the auction end hit during my commute home and I didn't see the responses in time. However, the thing didn't end up selling, so maybe he'll relist it... If he doesn't relist, I'll probably call him and see if we can strike a deal (but in fairness to Ebay rules I'll wait and see if he relists first).

Thanks for the sage advice, hope it ends up being actionable!

Kris