"Help" scatch build Trestle

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by UPJunkie, Feb 17, 2004.

1. UPJunkie

UPJunkie Member

I am going to be doing a scratch build Trestle. this is my first time ever doing this so bare with me :) I need to know how to curve the trestle frame. I have printed off a pic of one but im not sure how they did it. I will have 2 tracks going underneath one side. any help will be a big help on this.

I don't have a digital camera to show you what i need to be done so i hope my spelling and what i put helps

CHEERS:thumb:
  2. BillD53A

BillD53A Member

A trestle is a pretty complex subject, but it is just an assembly made up of pretty simple parts. Your best bet is to buy a kit...check the ads in Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman, or one of the other magazines. Check a Walthers catalogue. Its a good idea to buy one every few years, but I wouldnt buy it every year.
    A trestle is composed of vertical supports called bents. The bents are tied together with longitudinal braces and diagonal sway braces. All the bents are the same, from the top down. If there is a difference in height, it is made by cutting the bottom of the bents off. The legs are shortened from the bottom...the tops stay the same.
    You need a drawing of the bent assembly...tack it down to a flat board, with waxed paper over it, and build the bent by pinning the stripwood top the drawing.
    Once you have enough bents made you can trim the bottoms to length.
    Erect the bents, using the longitudinal bracing to keep the bents upright and then apply the sway braces.
    Trestles are not curved. They are a series of short, straight sections. The bents are arranged at an angle to each other, like spokes on a wagon wheel. The longitudinal supports on the inside of the trestle are shorter than the ones on the outside.
    For HO scale I would place the bents about 2" apart. HTH Bill
  3. ppowell

ppowell New Member

I just bought the book "Model Railroad Bridges and Trestles" by Bob Hayden at overstock.com. You may want to purchase this book to help you along, it's a great price and shipping is only $1.40.

Regards,
    Paul
  4. ppowell

ppowell New Member

I just bought the book "Model Railroad Bridges and Trestles" by Bob Hayden at overstock.com. You may want to purchase this book to help you along, it's a great price and shipping is only $1.40.

Regards,
    Paul
  5. billk

billk Active Member

Wasn't there at one time an article in the Archives (from Shamus, maybe) on trestles? I can't seem to find it now - where'd it go?
  6. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

7. UPJunkie

UPJunkie Member

thanks guys :thumb: :thumb:
  8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

I recently finished a plastic Ruby Mountain trestle kit, but made it straight since it was my first one. I'm starting a wooden Ayers kit now. In order to curve the trestle horizontally, you need to either curve the stringers or use small cord sections to fit the raduis you want. Align the trestle bents radially, with the distance betwen them on the inside of the curve closer together than on the outside. I plan on trying it using the cord method. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
    Doc
  9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I believe that the only thing that was truly curved on a curved trestle was the tracks. A curved trestle was really just a bunch of really short straight sections, each at an angle, to make the arc required. The bents get built the same way, they are just placed on the radius of the curve. They are then connected with stringers - just that the ones on the outside of the curve are longer than those on the inside.

What would be really fun would be a trestle on a curve with a grade...! ;)

As for kits, Hunterline has a nice one that is relatively affordable, but it may only be available in Canada. I can't find a source right now, but maybe Canadian Express Lines (d.cool "at" sympatico.ca) can get you one by mail order.

Andrew
  10. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Campbell has a kit, so does JV models I believe.

Black Bear has templates on their website for the scratchbuilders.
  11. UPJunkie

UPJunkie Member

do you know Black Bears web addy?

12. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Here you go UPJ.

http://www.blackbearcc.com/

BTW, you better be careful before the UP wants you to pay licencing fees for using your handle :)
  13. UPJunkie

UPJunkie Member

WHAT :rolleyes: u got to be joking me this means that i have to change my nick :cry: plus i guess that i would need to pay licencing fees for my pic :D
  14. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

This is a small curved trestle on my N scale layout...
    I used a piece of Micro Engineering flex track made for bridges, & curved it to fit the space...

Attached Files:

15. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Nice work Drew. :thumb: Fred
  16. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I used a flash here to light up the underside of the bridge...
    The "stringers" are the heavy horizontal timbers that are directly under each rail...they are actually straight sections, placed at angles to follow the curve of the rails...the "bents" are the verticle assemblies holding up the stringers...

Attached Files:

17. UPJunkie

UPJunkie Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: great work!!!!!!!!!!