Help -read Switches To Automate Layout

heck

hi, I am new to this.
I have just purchased a train layout, it is automated with fleicshmann locos. I couldnt afford to puchase the fleicschmann locos (I need 12 in total to get the board working properly).
The fellow I purchased the board from, said that I can purchase read switches and install them on the board, and place a magnet under the train (not a fleischmann), doing this, it will allow my normal trains to function on the automatic train layout, so I can sit back and watch them all go around.
Problem is when I attempted to purchased the read switches, they are sold as "normally closed" or normally open. which ones am I suppose to purchase. and there is a huge price difference here in australia. the closed ones are $1.50 and the open ones are $5.00. And I need about 30 apparently.

Can anyone assist me with my enquiry.

FiatFan

I read years ago in Model Railroader about using a magnet spaced a little ways away from a reed switch to make it stay in the position you want it to. It's called biasing the switch. You will probably have to do a little experimentation to make it work.

As far as what type (n/o or n/c) that will depend on what the circuit is supposed to be doing. A little more investigation would be in order before you buy the switches.

Tom

Pooh Bah
Do ypu have the reed switches installed on the layout already? Did the previous owner take them along with the locomotives?
I would expect that most of them would be normally open, unfortunately.

heck

Hi, thanks for your responses.
I actually met the fellow that made the train board yesterday. I came across him at a hobby show. He is actually going to come to our place and show us how it works. We have come to the decision that we will keep the lines automated. I was told by the person that sold us the layout (not the original owner), that we needed 12 fleischmann locos to run the system. I have now been informed by the man that made the layout that that is not correct. The outer track can run any loco. and the other 8 tracks can be switched down to 1 train per 4 tracks.
We are extemely lucky to have come across this original owner. He is going to give us full run down on the layout and show us all the little tricks he had installed.