Help !question regarding jpeg images

P

philip

I just tried posting an image on this site and the whole image didn't show up. My first attempt the image was to large so I resized in ACDSee program. My image show up now but only part shows . The image is in the Tech part of this site Help!

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Hello Philip, welcome to The Gauge.
If you resize pics down to about 600 x 400 pixels and save as a jpg file it will be a perfect size. Better still, right click on some of the pics posted in this forum and select "properties", that will tell you all you need to know about the file size and physical size of what you consider to be a good size picture.

I did this on your photo and it shows up as a PDF type file. of probably a colossal size so only this board's max loads to our screens. (I've never seen this before and even thought it impossible :) :) .

As you are aware there is a max file size acceptable to The Gauge program. Anyway, don't be put off posting pics, you'll get the hang of it.

Errol

P

philip

thanks for the info

thanks shelf life expired. I thought i was done for

philip

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Phillip, Resize your pic and save it as a JPG file. Then go to your post and click on edit. Scroll down and you will see where you can delete the pic and replace it with the re-sized one. Don't click delete post though...since you started the thread that will delete the entire thread.

I think we've all had a bit of trouble...I know I did with my first ones....keep it up...we all want to see your layout!:)

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
I had trouble posting photos on another web site. They kept coming on way to big or the web site rejected it. One of the members suggested I scan it a 100 dpi. I haven't had trouble since then.

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Here is an example.

I had already posted this in another forum. This is my birds nest. I had asked if anybody had a worse mess but got no other pictures.

Attachments

• control%20panel-2.jpg
    control%20panel-2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 67

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Welcome to the Gauge.
I'm like everyone else here. The dreaded first"Oversized" picture post. I followed what everyone told me to do and they came out great.
Then.....I discovered on my Microsoft Picture It program that I'd had for a few months before that I could size up my pictures from thumbnails all the way up to full screen. I use the 320 pix size. Its manageable, downloads quick.
When scanning pictures(Ref:88's N scale layout thread) I save the picture in a seperate file, use MS PI to size and convert to jpeg. Real cool program. Pretty reasonable in price too. About $39 at Staples.
Here's a sample of the 320 pix I use in my posts.

Attachments

• cb on siding.jpg
    cb on siding.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 57

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hello Philip, and welcome to the gauge.
So, you are having a bit of fun trying to get a photo on the gauge. Maz size using the browse feature is 102kb
Always scan the photo you require at no less than 300 DPI, this will result in the image being quite large on the screen, but it can be resized/sharpened/brightness & contrast altered without any ill effects.

JPEG or .JPG file formats are highly compressed and unlike other image compression formats does not store RGB values for each individual pixels. Instead, the JPEG format works on luminance averages for 2 pixels at a time. So what does this really mean ?. Each time you load a JPEG image and then save it again as a JPEG image, the same technique is applied and image quality it lost. While this loss is not noticeable the first time if you take an image and save it over 3 times as a JPEG, then view the original, you’ll see a loss in image quality.

When scanning an image in from your scanner, if you plan to alter the image in anyway, its best to save in another format initially, for example, BMP, TIFF, PNG etc. Once you have finished altering your image, then save as a JPEG to keep the image loss to a minimum.

Many people argue that the image loss is impossible to see, but the fact that image loss happens is good enough reason to keep it down to a minimum. For a better idea, and to see this loss, load an image in, then save as a JPEG, reload this saved JPEG, then resave it as a JPEG again. Repeat this about 10 times, then view the original image compared to the JPEG.

Saving a JPEG image as a JPEG again once or twice will result in little noticeable loss, so if you plan on altering your images over multiple sessions, saving the image as JPEG, then altering it again at another time, it is best to have your images in another format other than JPEG and when you are happy you wont be altering the image again, then save it for final storage as a JPEG.
Shamus
wink.gif