help please

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by dr_hemlock2, Jan 31, 2008.

1. dr_hemlock2

dr_hemlock2 New Member

i am gathering the data and sources ti built a layout for a copper mine set up and would like to find good sources for n scale trucks, land movers, cranes that do this type of work. any help would be nice. if no sources exist perhaps drawings of then so i can scratch build them.
    doc
    wall1:wave:
  2. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

Check Walther's catalog. I just did a quick search of N scale vehicles, with the keyword "construction".

Kibri, GHQ and Railway Express Miniatures all have some big-ish equipment that would look at home in a mine.
  3. dr_hemlock2

dr_hemlock2 New Member

cool

i had gone to the site and registered and asked for their email updates but the site is somewhat non-user friendly so i did not know what was up with it now i do thank you for showing me. a lot of the stuff i was looking for and a whole lot more i wanted Ching! ching!. i figure what i will do is order one of each of the ones i need and make the others from them using resin. as i am a disabled veteran i have to keep the costs way down. because of the bills ( i know nothing new) i have been looking at ebay and some are good prices some are well not sure about them. i am in a quandary here. i have done a lot of research on here about the latest things especially the DCC stuff it sounds real good as i am very computer literate 30 years in the business but the costs are very prohibitive to me. i am trying to get my father who is retired back into the "train thing" showing him it can be done pretty cheap as he is bored and worried about costs like i am. i guess what i am asking is should i just get the regular trains setup i think its "DC" and build this way i am new at this form of modeling. it is very interesting as i have great plans and plenty of patience so a little here a little there and eventually you get the stuff you need. i build models both plastic and wood ships all or most are scratch builds so i am very handy with what is left of my hands working a little and resting working a little and resting ...nerve damage in back and various other nice things and awaiting technology to catch up to fix them. so any help you guys might make for me would be great to get me started off right. i want to model in "n" scale as i live in small trailer so a small train layout is imperative.
    thanks in advance
    doc
    :thumb:
  4. dr_hemlock2

dr_hemlock2 New Member

info please

i am looking for drawings of steel and wood bridges any links out there.
    doc
    :mrgreen:
  5. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Not knowing how prototypical you want to get, I would say do some research on copper mining to see what type of equipment is used before you just go buy a train set. I've never seen a train set specifically set up for mining. They usually come with one of each type of car. I assume you are talking about a modern, open pit copper mine. If you are going to operate only one train, DC will work just fine
  6. Squidbait

When I think copper mine, I think Kennecott.

They had (have?) their own railroad, with quite the roster of motive power.

You're going to need some really big trucks:
    [​IMG]

And an even bigger shovel:
    [​IMG]

Also, you should look at the Copper Basin Railway:
    [​IMG]
  7. dr_hemlock2

dr_hemlock2 New Member

you guys rock

thanks for the info i am having a brain fart problem where would i look for the operations and or good resources for info on mining operation setups? i have gotten some drawings of the trucks involved and a source to buy them if i choose. i have gotten one link here already in copper mine but not much info in it. i realize this is going to take a while i figure it will be in the 60's to 70 era. the place will be nevada i have about figured out the town and residential amounts. industries is more what i am interested in and the engine will be diesel , will be some mountians as this is right before the foothills. etc etc:mrgreen::thumb:
    doc
  8. Squidbait

Try Googling "copper mining", or "copper mine nevada".

You'll turn up lots of useful links (and lots of useless ones too... you've got to sift a lot of gravel to find the nuggets :p ), but usually you'll find some goodies, like this one about the copper production process.
  9. dr_hemlock2

dr_hemlock2 New Member

boy you are not kidding

i have spent like two hours looking reading saving pics and layouts i am getting some where now thanks.
    doc
    :thumb: