help on which car, somewhat new to drifting

Discussion in 'RC Drifting and Setup' started by chromecarz00, Dec 10, 2006.

1. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Member

alos, i checked up on the novak 3.5 it only gets my 4tec to 70...so thats out...
  2. jareb

jareb Member

well chromecarz, getting the electric cars to go 85mph is possible but it might be very expensive or the car wont do much other go insanely fast. The onroad pan chassis cars that the pros race can run 90+ but those are also 2wd carbon chassis with stock car bodies. The pro Drag cars are above 120mph right now I believe but they household circuit breakers and like 20cell battery setups, plus they dont turn. I think youd be happy with the brushless setup in your 4tec. I dont hardly ever run my nitro 4tec much past 50 when Im playing around in the parking lots, Ive ported the engine and it could probably do better than 75mph but at those speeds its very twitchy and any crack or pebble in the lot will send the car flipping through the air. I do still open it up once in a while but I hold my breathe everytime I max it out. You could always try making your own battery packs with more cells to get the speed up, just make sure the speed controller you use is up to snuff and can handle the extra voltage.
  3. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Member

i know the thing is that im going to get 2 setups, one for drag one for track...novak is what im prolly gonna get for track, but im looking for a drag as well...lol i got my paycheck last wekk...
  4. jareb

jareb Member

I used to use two 6cell packs in an old clodbuster to get extra power out of that thing. I had to run them in series. I also had a Yharness I made that would give more runtime. That beast would climb anything, I wish I still had it, It would be sick with a dual brushless setup in it and two lipo battery packs. Maybe you could use the brushless with two lipo packs wired in series. If you could get a ESC that could handle 17volts youd surely be running above 85.
  5. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Member

how about a plane esc? and how do you get a dual brushless?
  6. jareb

jareb Member

Im not sure about an airplane esc if it can handle more voltage than the novak car esc than that might work. But also not Im sure that plane ESCs have the same smoothness when you apply the throttle, plus some of them might have what they call cogging at low speeds. This is when the motor has a jerkeyness to it. Have to do some research on those.
    To have a dual brushless setup you would need two seperate motors, speed controls, and battery packs. It would really only be practical on dual motor monster trucks. Plus you have to have a reciever that send two seperate throttle signals at the same time, or you can use a y harness and run them off the same channel. The old clodbusters had two motor setup but they came only with the 540 style motor. But the setup I used to run used I used modified 15t double motors and two 6cells packs wired in series. This allowed about 14 to 14.4volts to the motors, but the ESC I had didnt last all that long, it made it about a year before burning up. Even though it was rated for the voltage and amperage of the two packs. But man did that thing move. I hope I get a good job soon so I can buy another one and try the brushless stuff on it. I seen in rc car action where they had a single brushless conversion in a losi nitro truck. It actually accelerated faster than the nitro. I just graduated the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in phoenix AZ in october. I moved back to ohio and Im still looking for a job.
  7. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Member

good luck finding a job. the novak only takes 4-7 volts. although if it wasnt so expensive, i wouldnt mind risking blowing it to get faster...but its too expensive for that. Im pretty sure plane escs have a high voltage limit. also, dual brushless wouldnt work on a 4tec, so thats out. Im ordering some carbon fiber sheets so i could finish the rest of my 4tec in fiber. the y-joint, or whatever you call it, is a great idea. but the cogging doesnt sound fun...
    any suggestions on an esc? 14 or higher voltage would be nice...
    im gonna start a new thread, see what ppl think...you can reply on either u prefer.