Help on making your own cork roadbed

I'm going to make my own cork roadbed from locally available cork boards. I have access to one that has the same thickness as common cork roadbeds. My problem is how to slope the edges. So do you have suggestions? :) Also, am I correct that the slope at the edges don't have to be perfect like in commercial cork roadbed?

Furthermore, can you give the usual width and length of commercial roadbed?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Mike,

I don't have the dimensions in front of me, but the length at least is usually 3 feet. If I was to guess at the measurements, I'd say it's probably about 10 scale feet wide at the top, and maybe 12 scale feet wide at the base (with a slope of 45* on the shoulder).

You do not need to create a bevel at all if you don't want, but creating the shoulder/slope of the profile will take a bit more ballast if you don't. Not really a problem.

If you do want the bevel, I would suggest you either cut it directly from the cork using an Xacto knife or single edge razor blade, or you sand off the vertical edge once the cork is glued in place. The sanding option will waste a bit of the cork, but may be easier to do.

Hope that helps.

Andrew