Help on easements

Goattee

Feb 12, 2004
Walls, MS
Visit site
Folks I need some advice. I have 35” radius curves on what will be basically a double figure eight mainline double track. Now my problem is do I need an easement with that big a radius?

Attachments

• train board-1.jpg
    train board-1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 72
  • train board-2.jpg
    train board-2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 68

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
The only reason for putting in an easement is so that the trains don't "jerk" when going into the curve. This can sometimes be referred to as the "Lionel trains effect" because that what Lionel trains do when they go around a curve.

If you are a picker of nits, then an easement might look nice. Model Railroader did an issue decades ago that included templates for easements of different radii. However, it's a simple matter of starting about 12" - 18" up on the straight track and offsetting this track about 1/8" - 3/16" (depending on the radius) before the curve. You then "blend" the 12" - 18" of track into the curve so that it doesn't look as if your straight track immediately jerks into your curve.

Bob M.

PS - Love that benchwork with the styrofoam!

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Yes, I would use easements. There are two good books that cover easements (1) Track planning for Realistic Operation by John Armstron a Kalmbach book. (2) Design Handbook of Model Railroading by Paul Mallery a Carstens book.