HELP needed please

shamus

Registered Member
Just bought a second hand Mantua 2-6-6-2 (photo below) and it didn't have an exploded diagram of how it's put together, as I need to strip it down for a re-paint, I would like to know what goes where and why.

Attachments

• 2662.jpg
    2662.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 177

Woodie

:eek: Shamus,

"God" asking us mere mortals for HELP??? :D :D

Your Mantua looks fine to me! (cept for the Weychaueser Lumber Co bit!) Perhaps you could build a Waychaueser Rental Office or something?

An exploded diagram of it? Just stick a firecracker in the firebox and take some slo-mo video!! :p :p

Anyway, it looks a kewl machine. Is it articulated? being a 2-6-6-2?

Dumb question here too..... is Mantua the model brand name? or the original loco manufacturer Co?

upguy

Oregon Western Lines, CEO
I like the Weyerhaeuser Lumber Company writing on the side. Only way I know to improve it would be to write Sumpter Valley Railway instead. :D

Tyson Rayles

Shamus you are not getting much help are you??? You may have to do it the old fashioned way(take notes and photos as you dissassemble so you can put it back together again) now that Mantua is out of business. Tried all my sources and could find some places that had parts, but nobody yet that had the pictures you want (need?).

Shamus, no I can't help you out on this one but .... I looked in my 1999 Walthers catalog and the photo of the Mantua 2-6-6-0 is a lot plainer than your's. Yours has an extra steam dome and steam exhaust pipes from the rear cylinders, has it been superdetailed?

Either way, that's a gem of a loco you have there. (Sumpter will be doing an inventory check on his power pool now :D )

Errol

G

Gregg Mahlkov

First, I don't think Mantua ever offered this engine as a kit, so it may not have published an exploded diagram. Your best bet is to use the Trains.com "mag Index" of MR publications and see if you can find a review of the original. Believe there was an article about improving the operation of one of these a few years ago, as well.

Don't get your hopes up too high but...I think somewhere in my archives I have saved a bunch of papers that has exploided views of some engines, some I thought were Mantua. When I get off the computer I will go and try and find what I have. As I said son't get you hopes up too high, hate to let you down. Will get back to you. Ron.

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Ron,
Hope you have an exploded diagram of it, my main concern is if I take out too many bolts, that the whole gearing comes out without my knowing where it came from. Any Bachmann shay or MDC -Shays/heislers/climaxes/diesels I can do in the dark, but this beast is different.

What I have in Mantua is:
0-6-0 switcher 0-4-0 general
0-6-0 little six 2-6-0 mogul
0-4-0 shifter 0-8-0 alco
2-8-2 mikado 2-8-2 camelback
4-6-2 pacific 2-10-0 decapod
0-4-0 pony 4-6-4 hudson
0-4-0 booster 4-8-4 berkshire
4-6-0 rodgers 2-8-0 consolidation
4-8-0 12 wheeler 2-6-2 prarie
4-4-0 general tender
2-6-0- mogul caboose

The ones I got were photocopied by a friend who had a mantua book, he did the whole book for me at the time, this was many many years ago, some of them the quality is not what copiers can produce to day. If you want me to get these to you let me know. I have a scanner but do not know how the quality will be.

shamus

Registered Member
Originally posted by farmer ron
What I have in Mantua is:
0-6-0 switcher 0-4-0 general
0-6-0 little six 2-6-0 mogul
0-4-0 shifter 0-8-0 alco
2-8-2 mikado 2-8-2 camelback
4-6-2 pacific 2-10-0 decapod
0-4-0 pony 4-6-4 hudson
0-4-0 booster 4-8-4 berkshire
4-6-0 rodgers 2-8-0 consolidation
4-8-0 12 wheeler 2-6-2 prarie
4-4-0 general tender
2-6-0- mogul caboose

The ones I got were photocopied by a friend who had a mantua book, he did the whole book for me at the time, this was many many years ago, some of them the quality is not what copiers can produce to day. If you want me to get these to you let me know. I have a scanner but do not know how the quality will be.
Hi, and thanks for the offer, but I really need the 2-6-6-2 diagram.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
upguy,
To put the name " Sumpter Valley Railway" on the tender of a standard gauge 2-6-6-2 would be a sacrilige, and Mantua already did that !! They did Uintah # 50, and 51, and SVRY #250, and 251.

Shamus,
Happy to see you found the Mantua 2-6-6-2. That is basicly the same engine I had in the photo of the logger's caboose. I didn't have a diagram of mine when I rebuilt it as the Shinnecock Hills engine, but it is fairly straight forward in construction, and as long as you keep the parts separated it should go back together easily enough.
I don't remember if I got a "parts list"(exploded diagram) with the engine or not. I'll look, if one came with the engine, I have it.
Pete

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Shamus,
I checked my files, and there was no info for the Mantua 2-6-6-2.
I got mine second hand, and without the original box, so probably didn't get a parts list.
If I lived closer, I'd offer to help you reassemble it once the paintwork was done. I don't think I can swim that far any more.
Good Luck, someone has to have the parts diagram somewhere.
Pete