Help needed - Identify this engine

DahlELama

Aug 12, 2007
Can anyone help me identify this little Atlas Switch Engine? The only identification it has is on the bottom it reads 'Atlas Austria'. I got it as part of a lot on eBay. It ran a bit sketchy so I took it apart to clean it up and I could see it needs some replacement parts (pickups). When I put it back together now it doesnt run at all. I was going to use it for a Christmas scene I am building as a gift for my wife so I'd like to get it running again. Any ideas on what it is? Vintage? Perhaps someone I could send it to to get it rolling again?

Thanks for any input you have! ~e

atlas_switcher1.jpg

atlas_switcher2.jpg

atlas_switcher3.jpg

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
What does it do or not do now? does it sound as if the motor is trying to work?
Did you take the wheels out by any chance? it looks as if the left axle and the right axle are not in the same position. With these mechanisms, you may find you have to spend a long time putting the axles and gears back together to get it right.
Or you may not have put the pickups back in right. Can't see from the picture.

Bones

Apr 11, 2007
Lower Alabama
I think David is right. It looks like the drivers are out of quarter.

This will cause the axles to bind, and you'll get no movement. You should, however, be able to hear the motor attempting to work.

I've never been able to find a good article showing how to quarter axles. Some people consider it quite a daunting task; others, just the opposite.

You basically just need to make sure all the axles are lined up in exactly the same clock position on each respective side. On some locos with a lot of slop in their drive gears, you might need to take up the slack by pushing one way or the other with a small screwdriver, then drop the axles in.

The whole point is to make sure all axles are going to be rotating through the same clock angle at the same time. 3 O'clock, 4 O'clock, 5 O'clock, etc... If they don't, the drive rod and valve gear with bind the loco; and sometimes break.

In this case, I'd bet the rear driver just needs to be turned 1 tooth.

Now, if the motor is still out of commision... I would start there.

DahlELama

Aug 12, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys... Now I know what train this is.

Did you take the wheels out by any chance?

Yup.. I did. The engine does try to move but it binds up. Thanks for the tip on Quartering the axles! I'll give that a shot.

e.

DahlELama

Aug 12, 2007
One more quick question...

Like I said earlier, this engine needs new pickups as one side is totally worn out. Is there some place I can send it or perhaps get parts? I think this little guy is worth spending a few bucks on to get running right. Then again... for about $30 I could get a new 060 saddle tank switcher brand new. Thoughts? I'm new to all this but my boys and I are already having fun!

Thx ~e

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Like you said, your having fun. If it pleases you to tinker with it, go for it ! That's one of the best aspects of this hobby, having fun.
You can always get the tanker later.
On a side not, you might be able to make the pickups yourself. There's lots of how to's on the web, and here to.

Loren