help me buy an airbrush plz

ding chavez

Jan 17, 2006
Philadelphia, Pa
hi, im not sure what airbrush to buy. i know theyre neccesary to do alot of stuff with modeling and i want to get good at it. what is a good one to buy for me? and should i get a compressor as well?

also, any good books or anything to help me develop the skill? right now i plan on using it to paint model cars and planes, since i have no room for a train layout. thanks in advance for the help! :wave:

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Testors makes inexpensive airbrush kits. They start around $13. These don't come with a compressor of course, they use spray cans of compressed air. I have one of these kits, and it does a pretty good job.

But, just like everything else...you get what you pay for.

kmorris

Oct 14, 2005
Dumb question (I've been looking at airbrushes too)... Are single action or double action best for a beginner?

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
I would highly suggest this airbrush from Harbor Freight. It is a great dual action brush for a fraction of the cost! I have had a fun time learning how to use it, this is my first brush, and I am so glad that I have the dual action.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1500

I would suggest getting an air compressor or air tank of some sort. The canned air will add up really quick and in the end you will wish that you had of put that money to a compressor. I currently use a 5 or 8 gallon portable air tank. It lasts for about a half hour of airbrushing, luckily there is a gas station close for me to fill it up, but I am kind of getting tired of making the trip.

You can buy an airbrushing compressor, but for the same price or just a little more, you could get a larger compressor with a tank and use it for multiple tasks around the house. Check your local hardware store, you can usually find them from $60-$100.

Freelancer

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Freelancer said:
I would highly suggest this airbrush from Harbor Freight. It is a great dual action brush for a fraction of the cost! I have had a fun time learning how to use it, this is my first brush, and I am so glad that I have the dual action.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1500

I would suggest getting an air compressor or air tank of some sort. The canned air will add up really quick and in the end you will wish that you had of put that money to a compressor. I currently use a 5 or 8 gallon portable air tank. It lasts for about a half hour of airbrushing, luckily there is a gas station close for me to fill it up, but I am kind of getting tired of making the trip.

You can buy an airbrushing compressor, but for the same price or just a little more, you could get a larger compressor with a tank and use it for multiple tasks around the house. Check your local hardware store, you can usually find them from $60-$100.

Freelancer
Been remakably pleased with my Harbor Freight airbrush. We have several stores locally and if you keep your eye out and are not in a hurry, you can get most stuff on sale, sometimes as much as 50% off. I got my airbrush for under $10, and a $100 airbrush compressor for around $65. They also run similar sales in their catalog and on the net.

I also buy a lot of my other tools there as well.