Help making large Conifers/ pines

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Johnson Bar, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Johnson Bar

Johnson Bar Member

Scratching large Conifers/Pines is the set I onlyset back I have Vague ideas on. If anyone has any methods of construction I am all ears! I have heard of wooden dowel tapered then air fern placed in holes that are drilled in the dowel. The sizes would vary I am working in On3O . The tallest one company produces is 9".
  2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Hi JB, Shamus, in this months RMC covers the very method you describe in your scale :D Don't have my copy yet :(
  3. Johnson Bar

Johnson Bar Member

Thanks Jon! I do certainly thank you for your help! I will get to the hobby shop and grab a copy! I seen it on the shelves and went to the web site , but didnt read the article . Live and learn! Thanks again! :wave:
  4. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Not a problem at all! Shamus did all the work :D :D :D He had a similar tutorial on CD, as well as his other modeling techniques, but I don't know if he's still selling it or not :confused: You might PM him if you are interested.
  5. Johnson Bar

Johnson Bar Member

well, be as it may the hobby shop ran out of that issue . I have tried to get Him... to answer on the site here but sadly enough I havent recieved a reply. I will attempt your route!
    I surely dont want to pester people. Thanks Again!
  6. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Are you trying to contact me Johnson Bar? I couldn't send you a PM you have it off.
    Shamus

[​IMG]
  7. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Not to worry, JB, no one is a pest when they are asking questions! Folks here help out because they like to help people.
  8. Johnson Bar

Johnson Bar Member

Yes Sir Mr. Shamus I surely am trying to contact you! I havent a clue on how to turn the PM option on Sorry! Yes, How did you make those fine looking conifers on your layout?
    I missed the issue of RMC at the local hobby shop . I havent ever seen such well modeled trees as yours. Would you share that method Please!
  9. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi,
    If you email Bill Schaumburg at bills@carstens-publications.com
    I am sure he would sell you a copy of the latest magazine if you can't find one around your area.

Shamus
    [​IMG]
  10. Johnson Bar

Johnson Bar Member

11. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

12. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

There is also an exccellent article by Paul Scoles in the Mar/Apr 1999, Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette.

Dan
  13. belg

belg Member

Dan I'm wondering do you have a copy of the article as I dont subscribe to this publication and none of my LHS carry it. I'd love a copy if you or someone else could find the time to send me one.
    Thanks Pat
  14. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

Pat,

The kind folks at Benchmark Pubilcations (NGSL Gazette) still have back issues of this magazine available at $4.95. Give them a call at 1-800-545-4102 or fax them at 650-941-3845.

Dan
  15. Johnson Bar

Johnson Bar Member

Hey Thanks a bunch Guys ! Lighthorseman I went to that site and that is a great way to make pine trees! those pines dont look like bottle brushes! Thank you ! Also Dan , Thanks for your lead as well . I will see if I can muster up that issue! I will post some pic's when I get some scenery done!!! :thumb: :cool: :D