Help! Looking For Traction Combine Photos!

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
A plea goes out to our traction and old photo gurus - I've gotten my hands on another Bachmann On30 combine, and this time, I'd like to bash it into a doodlebug-type traction thingy. This model has the baggage doors and passenger seating. I'd also appreciate gas-electric pictures, just to help.

Thanks! :)

CN1

May 6, 2003
Not sure if this will help...

cbq9767.jpg

Hey, Steve...

I think that between Chris and I we should be able to get you whatch need. Chris and I have plenty of books...Chris, do you have a scanner? If not, I can scan some interesting combine motor shots for you. Any preferences? Steel? Wood? Many roads used the wood cars from St. Louis, Niles, etc. and had the side-opening express door located close to the front of the car. Others resembled a true combine with a larger express compartment. If you look at the steel MU cars from the Lackawanna, PRR, etc., the cars resembled (or were converted from) standard combines. Here are a couple of postcard views that show two types of old wood interurban designs.

Russ :)

Attachments

• T&C Traction.JPG
    T&C Traction.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 104
  • Coeur D'Alene and Spokane Interurban.jpg
    Coeur D'Alene and Spokane Interurban.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 105

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Russ, yep got a scanner , but there`s not enough room on the gauge for all our pics :rolleyes: :D :D :D :rolleyes:
Here are a few and some models.
one is a converted gas/electric, into a interurban thingy!! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Attachments

• grr626.jpg
    grr626.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 95
  • grr826.jpg
    grr826.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 97
  • grr844.jpg
    grr844.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Pc280009.jpg
    Pc280009.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 93

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Steve,
If you can spring for it, the Atlas #8570 AEM-7 locomotive has great wheels, smooth motion, and a couple of small pans that would make a perfect combination with the Bachmann car. $135.00 (approx), and it shouldn't be too hard to adapt.
Pete

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
An Idea Is Forming In My Little Cranium!

Well, a little internet digging produced a real gem, in addition to the excellent photographs provided by you, the kindly Gauge forumites.

Steve Sherrill has an On30 layout called the "Shady Grove And Sherrill", and one of the pieces of equipment on that layout is a gas electric bashed from a Bachmann On30 combine. It looks like it has had some front-end work done, a steam engine's cowcatcher put on, and has been dropped onto an HO diesel chassis.

Here's a picture.

Attachments

• Gas Electric3.jpg
    Gas Electric3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 81

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
If I EVER Start This, Boy, Will It Be FUN!!

Okay...Here's my line of thinking.

First off, I was wondering if I could leave the roof as it was, and not have to hack a large slice off above the engineer's cab. Thanks to your pictures, many examples have the curved roof continuing right to the end of the car. Phew!

Next, does the engineer have to have a separate door, or can he enter and exit through the railcar itself? Aha! No separate door required! Not only that, but if you look at the picture below, Steve Sherrill didn't cut off the end wall of the combine. He used it as the back wall of the engineer's cab. Once again, your pictures show this, too. Yay! This is just looking easier and easier!

Then, what about the cowcatcher? It looks as though I could use one from a steam engine in a pinch, although I'd like to see if I can find a nice one from someone like Bowser. I'll already be talking to them about O scale pantographs and/or trolley poles anyway...

Lastly, and I think this is going to be "The Big One", the front end windows. I sure like the big three windows on the pictures Russ (HudsonElectric) posted, although it has been shown in the other shots that I can also go with small windows too.

As we can see also, anticlimbers can obviously differ in size, as well as the placement of pans, poles, and headlights.

Bear with me as I dream here, but I'm seeing a maroon with yellow (gold?) front-end safety stripes woodside combine traction unit.

I guess my only last question is this...Would a version of this pictured combine without the radiator, and with a pantograph or trolley pole work? Would it be believable as a traction unit?

Attachments

• Gas Electric4.jpg
    Gas Electric4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 83

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I think it would work as the radiator would be for cooling an internal combustion engine, something your juice jack wouldn't have. I remember an electric project I did where I made the cab side windows about 6 scale inches lower than the front windows. It used to bother me til I found several prototypes with the very same arrangement.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Well Steve, the more you do the homework :thumb: the more you find what can be done and keep with the bounds of prototipical juice jacks!.
You can also build your own as "they" had to do.
Get cracking Steve we await your masterpiece. :wave: :thumb: