Help finding member

SKMoss

Jun 24, 2004
Hi again all.

Yesterday I posted about a freeware program for scale modelers to use. I can't find the post now. Prolly moved by an admin type. Only problem, I was helping one of the members here with an issue and now the post is gone, I don't remember the users name.

It's interesting the perspective around the post dissappearing. Some forum moderators have jumped all over the tool wanting to host the app on thier downloads and wanting more info on the NMRRSIG(National Model Railroad Special Interest Group) which the tool is hoping to support. Some have been ho hum, and some have elected to click delete. (or click move and I can't find the post anymore :) )

Thanks all for the kind words about the app while it was posted here.

If anyone knows Will ??? screen name here, could you firfe me a PM with it.

Will ????, if you read this, i have a bit of info on the issue, but will have to wait till i get home to respond to your email as opposded to responding here. Sorry for the delay.

Steve

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Jon,, I cannot find the thread started by steve?????? speed calculator?

It was Will Annand out of Huntsville Ont who was having the prob .
Now then,, Was this post deleated?? if so was there a complaint by a member??
If not ????
Why is it not there? As I know how to find post`s I`ve answered.

Info please for a confused Chris :rolleyes:

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
OK, I meant search for will with the search feature... of course he could just look around and find Will in the forums.

The original thread was nuked. You can tell because Steve only has one post. As to why, the decision is Mikey's, as it's his forum, so I will leave hte answer to him. I'm sure Steve has reveived an explanation by PM and/or e-mail.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I'm not ready to start pointing fingeres, but I downloaded the program last night. It came up with a message about updating my software (should'a set an alarm right there :rolleyes: ) then it said I had to restart to get the program to work. It was late and I wasn't up to messing with it so I finshed up what I was doing and shut down. Now today when I started up none of the hyperlinks would work. :curse: :curse: I could enter the address in the address bar and it went through just fine. As I said, I can't point fingers, but last night everything was working fine but today, nada. :mad: :curse: :mad: :curse: It's like the computer won't recognize a hyperlink.
Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else had the same kind of problems.

SKMoss

Jun 24, 2004
No worries about the post getting nuked. Even said in the original, for moderator to remove if it was a problem.

Jon,

no explanation, but again, thats cool.

Will, Thanks for replying. I've searched and searched, for anything on 3d Canvas. Looks like it was at one time installed on your computer??? Then when it was uninstalled it took with it a part of the graphics back end that is built into windows, and is one of the graphic drivers VB needs to operate. Now when VB tries to use that part of the graphics system, all XP knows is that 3d canvas is where it got it from the last time. According to Microsoft, you should (and only if you feel like it) do a repair of XP to get the file back.

Clark,

The VB Installer is what was tryin to update some install files needed. Not the actual application. I REALLY NEED A BETTER INSTALL BUILDer, But they are really expensive, specially when you consider I'm giving the program away for free. As to the issue with hyper links not repsonding. Is it a hyper link to my web site? Or just all hyper links. Nothing in the installer or application have any knowledge of web technologies. If your still experiecing an issue, please fire me an email and let me help if I can.

Thanks all,

Steve

SKMoss

Jun 24, 2004
Will,

Still looking, here's replys from the Microsoft Newgroups, to my question. Both replies go down the same path I did. As aside, the screen shot you sent me had some pretty cool graphics on it. Where'd they come from? Also, do you know anything about the 3dCanvas application? I've been hunting the web for info on it, and it (3d canvas) is a pretty common phrase.

"SKMoss" <SKMoss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:AB05A0D8-8B55-434D-BCA4-2EFEAF4A87DE@microsoft.com...
> Getting an error on running a vb6 program. The user is getting
an attempt to load something from 3dCanvas.msi. Any ideas.
Nothing comes up on MSDN. The only control loaded on the program
is the tab control. Rest is vanilla VB.
> --
> Steve

Windows does that some times for seemingly no good reason. I've
had a time where every time I would try and load VB, the Front
Page installer would try to activate. The only way I was able to
get rid of it was to allow the installer to complete
(fortunately, I had front page) Generally, when these kinds of
issues appear you can just keep clicking cancel and eventually
the app will run fine, but I've yet to find what causes the
problem in the first place.

Andrew Faust

And a second reply

Adding to Andrew's reply, the Windows Installer service is detecting
something missing in the installation of that program. It may be a
missing reg entry, file, folder, component, whatever.

<theory>If your app happens to be using a dll that's marked as 'Shared'
and some other app's using that same dll, the Windows Installer service
will attempt to make sure all dependancies are available to both
apps.</theory>

The best way to deal with it is to let the repair finish its work.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Well, after reading about 3D Canvas, I thought I would DL it and install it as it is freeware.

After I did that, Model Calc loaded, but the first calculation I entered, I got the following...

Sorry, Steve, my conclusion is that Model Calc is not ready for public consumption. I do not think it is a good policy to have "customers" beta test your product. That is what your friends are for.

My suggestion would be to go back and do some more tests and come back when Model Calc is stable and does not need other products installed to work.

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 58

SKMoss

Jun 24, 2004
Will,

You won't get any arguments from me on beta testing. It's been through a lot. But it's a freeware program, and the folks helping me test it have been just like you. Model Railroaders interested in helping out the hobby. There not professional QA folks, just folks willing to try to help.

I appreciate the help you've been so far. I'm working out a couple of other issues with the program. I should post a support page later today with fixes to the app. I'll post here when I do.

Again, Thanks for attempting to get the program running.

Steve

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Here is a much better Freeware utility for doing the Scale conversions. I am not even sure where I got it, I think one of my computer friends in Toronto sent it to me.

Handles:

Scale: 1:1 G #1 O S HO N Z

Units: in ft mm cm

looks/works just like a normal calculator.

Attachments

• MR_Scale_Calc_32.zip
    20.3 KB · Views: 16

SKMoss

Jun 24, 2004
Will,

I'm glad this one works for you. Thanks for posting it. Actually saw it a while ago, it works pretty well, but is very basic. It's one of the reasons I built my own. I needed something that would handle all scales, could save and print a bunch of measurements, would handle scale speeds and gradients.

Thank you again for the help, and the attempt.

Steve