HELP!!...Bachmann 2-8-0 shell...

steamhead

How in @##@@!! tarnations do you take the engine shell off the frame/motor assembly..?? I've looked everywhere where there might be a screw/tab or something holding the 2 together but can find nothing...and the %##@@!! thing won't even budge....wall1wall1
I've already taken off the wheels/drive train assembly, but that's as far as I can get. I want to replace the wiring harness which has been nothing but trouble, but I need to get inside to do it...

Any ideas..??

steamhead

Thanks for the diagram...It doesn't show any "attachments" that would seem to hold it in place...It's probably a "Snap-On"....
I'll give it a try after work this afternoon....

doctorwayne

Gus, I have a bunch of these torn-down at the moment, and it appears (it's been a while since I dis-assembled them :rolleyes: ) that the screw which holds the drawbar in place also holds the boiler/cab assembly in place on the mechanism. Remove the screw, then pull the top end of the pilot steps away from the smokebox - there's a lug on each that plugs into a hole in the smokebox. Finally, lift the rear of the cab/boiler until it clears the top of the internal boiler weight, then slide the superstructure forward until the front end is clear of the weight.

Wayne

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Wayne,

Thanks for jumping in here. Sorry I wasn't more forthcoming, I was a bit rushed when I posted the diagram.

IIRC (it's been awhile since I took one apart too!) you need to pull the screws out from under the cab, get the smokebox off the boiler, and kinda shimmy the boiler shell up from the cab end and forward off the chassis that protrudes into the smokebox.

Or something like that. :p :D

steamhead

Got it..!!! Just needed a little "encouragement" to pull the cab up off the frame....Now that I've done it...I remember having unassembled it before...to take up some of the slack from the @##%** wire harness....

Thanks for the tips....!!! :thumb: