Help, another newbe question

Woodrow67

I will try and be as breif as possible.

Problem - I have a 8x4 layout, ho scale, double oval with auto left and right switches connecting the ovals . So you can switch between the ovals from either direction. I am currnetly using the mrc railpower 1300 to power the layout. I just bought a tech4 280 dual control power pack. Here is my problem/question. I want to run 2 trains or more seperately,and be able to run them in opposite directions as well. I have some knowledge of using plastice rail joiners to seperate the 2 ovals. To create a seperate block for each oval. I also have to kids and I would like to let each of them control a train. And I would prefer to keep the kids apart to avoid any altercations :) . Could I simply hook the tech 280 to the inner oval and the railpower 1300 to the outer oval with the plastic rail joiners seperating the 2 ovals? And if so what would happen if they somehow have the trains end up on the same oval at the same time? This whole shorting out stuff is where I am concerned. I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous..... :eek:ops: Let me know if anyone thinks I can do this or if a better way is possible. I am just still trying to keep it as simple as I can. Thanks!!!!!

77railer

With my limited experience I would say going DCC would be the easiest way to do it. Sorry but I dont know how to do it with DC yet. I do know if the both got on the same oval which ever controller had control of that oval would work both trains.

Wish I could be of more help.....77Railer

NYC-BKO

Insulate between the switches, then put a hidden switch to shut off power to the turnouts and spike em, that way they can't be thrown if you are letting them run unsupervised.

IIRC both packs should have internal overload protection to prevent any damage.

You do know most likely they will be running in the same direction, racing!!

Woodrow67

Thanks for the advise. And I am sure you are right about the direction. The next thing I know my kids will be painting nascar numbers on the loco's! lol...

Thx..

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
If the Tech4 280 is a dual controller, can you not connect one "side" to the inner loop, and the other to the outer loop, and forget about the Railpower 1300? (Of course, this means the kids have to be right next to each other, which may not be advisable for other reasons ;)).

If one engine happens to cross to the other loop, it will come under the control of the power pack feeding that loop, and both engines will begin to run in the same direction at the same speed, actually lessening the chance of a crash... It is possible that the engines could "meet" at a crossover, and Brian's suggestion to disable the turnouts would help with that.

Andrew