Hello

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by C&S Maintainer, Mar 4, 2007.

1. C&S Maintainer

C&S Maintainer New Member

Hello...new guy here! :)

Getting back into the hobby...it's been many years. My father got me into model railroading when I was about 8 or 9. I was into the hobby until I was about 25. Now 31, with an empty basement in the new house, I am in the planning stages for new benchwork. :D Hope to get great info from here and I look forward to talking with everyone.

-Tommy
  2. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

let me be the first to say,WELCOME!!!its always good to see new members and i must say you stumbled across the best MRRing source on the net. :D good luck and ask questions,somebodys always here.--josh
  3. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Welcome!!
    Are you going to run O, S, HO, or N? With any of the smaller scales, a basement becomes an empire!!!
  4. bigsteel

vey well put meiriongwril,couldnt have said it better.but if i were him id take HO scale since there more stuff and its one of the cheaper scales.either way its his choice,and to have fun!.--josh
  5. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

Welcome aboard!!!
    Alright folks we know what to do. Heres a guy with an empty basement, lets see how long it takes to fill it full of trains!!!!!
    Keep us updated on your work, and show some pics!!!!:thumb:
  6. C&S Maintainer

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

I plan on running HO. I have a 12' x 15' area available to me. Not sure what the layout will be but I thought about doing one of the local Amtrak passenger lines with an NS freight line.

Just out of curiosity...anyone using those Atlas signals? I just saw them the other day...they look very good.
  7. bigsteel

12 by 15 WOW,theres no way you have a wife cause that would've never happened with my wife!all i got was 10 by 10!you lucky dog and unless your a millionaire ,ittl take FOREVER to fill it with trains!as for the atlas signals,i've seen um but nver used um--josh
  8. C&S Maintainer

LOL, you are correct, no wife yet...but it's not far off. My basement is 15' wide x 45' long. (City Row Home) I am allowed to have the front part which is about 12'. :D
  9. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Glad you could join us! I'm hoping to hear some reviews of those Atlas signals myself!
    Ralph
  10. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Welcome, give us some givens and druthers of what you want so we can get to helping- before the wife comes!!!
  11. C&S Maintainer

Thanks Ralph..those signals look really good. I seen a short video of them working on youtube the other day. They are a little pricey so I will wait for some feedback from here first.

:D As far as track, I am thinking about using the simulated concrete tie track for my passenger lines but I haven't seen any turnouts using that type of tie. The rest will be code 83. I have used Atlas in the past so I will probably use them again.

For DCC which will be my firsat time using it, I am looking at DigiTrax Zephyr & the Atlas Commander.

For engines, new ones that I want to pick up (not all at once) would be Amtrak, NJ Transit, Norfolk Southern, and CSX diesels. And brand recommendations for DCC ready locos?

I bought most of the wood that I will need for my bench work, now I just have to build it this weekend. (Got me a new DeWalt drill too!)
  12. woodone

woodone Member

Welcome to The Gauge.:wave: I am sure you will find a lots of good information here, and make many friends.:thumb:
    With a big basement you will be busy for a time. Take lots of photos and keep us posted as you progress.