Hello with remark about modeling clay

twayburn

Hello,

This is my first post, which could be about anything, I suppose. I have been working on my N-scale layout tonight with some modeling clay substitute from Michael's that is quite far from ideal. Where in the world can one get decent modeling clay in a big city like Houston. The stuff from Hobby Lobby is very stiff and hard to mold.

Tom Wayburn, Houston, Texas

Triplex

Welcome aboard!

I don't have any answer, but I'm sure we have some members from Houston that'll chime in.

Jim Krause

Have you tried an art supply store? One that caters to professional or advanced amateurs?
I'm curious, are you using the modeling clay for permanant landscaping or just temporary use? Gee, I didn't answer your question but asked three. That isn't much help.

twayburn

I have used clay for parts of roads and highways. It is important to keep it away from trains. Modeling clay in quite useful when one expects to stick poles in it etc.

Tom

Mountain Man

Two quick thoughts:

1. As mentioned, art supply stores carries loads of the stuff, in several formulations, i.e., clay, Sculpy, etc. If you have a university anywhere around, you have art supply stores.

2. They can tell you what the best softener for that particular brand is. For example, a drop or two of mineral oil will soften up some of them.