Hello, now is the time to introduce myself.

pikeyser

Jan 26, 2008
Long Island, NY
Greetings from Long Island, NY. During the holiday shopping season of 2007, my four year old grand son asked me to come with him and my son to a model train store. While I watched my grandson, my son bought a G-scale starter set that was immediately installed in their living room. However, a week later, I was back at the same store, alone, getting information about N- and HO- scale trains. Within another week I bought an N-scale Kato Santa Fe starter set with an extra EMD F7A unit and a Super Chief Car Set C.
Over the next two months, I bought two additional Kato locomotives, a GE-P42 Genesis VIA Rail Canada, and an EMD SD40-2 Mid Production Canadian National. I have filled up a 4 x 8 foot, 1/2 inch plywood table with two layers of countless track, twelve turnouts, and one double crossover. Both the upper and lower levels have two reversing loops; and the lower level is connected to the upper by a 1.75% graded ramp.
I confess, I am obsessed. Everything runs smoothly, most of the time. So far, I use a DC, three power pack system. Right now I don't see getting involved with Digital Command Control technology. As some of you have indicated, there are advantages and disadvantages to both systems.
My local library was a wonderful source for model railroading information. The interlibrary loan system allowed me to get books from outside my county but from within the state. This forum is also a marvelous resource. I especially want to thank EZ, the forum administrator, for completing the nuts and bolts of my registration that has allowed me to make this posting as a new member.
Currently I do not have any scenery on my layout. However, that will probably change. I will answer any specific questions that you might have concerning my first experiences with N-scale model railroading. Your new member, Paul

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Welcome to model railroading and The Gauge, Paul:wave:
Your story is not unfamiliar. Many of us started out that way. I personally was hooked when I gave a train set as a present then went back and bought my own.

Loren

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Welcome to The Gauge, Paul. I'm sorry to hear about your

affliction/obsession. Sometimes things like that happen when you spend

too much time in hobby shops. :thumb:

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Welcome. Congratulations on jumping right into the deep end, and it sounds like you're doing quite well. Post some pictures when you get the chance.

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

My grandkids love to see the trains run.

As a former resident of upstate NY, my interest over the years has gone from the colorful Santa Fe and Union Pacific diesels to the Erie and Erie/Lackawanna because that's what ran through my town of Monroe, NY.

Back when I started with N-scale around 1964 it was pretty hard to come up with an Erie diesel. Thankfully, Atlas, Lifelike and Intermountain have come to my rescue and my ears perk up every time I hear of a new loco in ERIE livery.

Hope you really enjoy N-scale, it's a great scale for running long trains with multiple locos in a fairly small space.

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
Welcome Paul, Sounds like your off to a great start. Post some pics... I haven't done much with my layout lately. I'm in Fl. and I consider the last few months as the best outdoor weather. It will be getting hot soon and that's when I stay indoors and do the work. In the a/c of course. Have fun with the hobby.

Dennis

w8jy

Mar 21, 2007
Au Gres, Michigan
Welcome to the Gauge, Paul. Your obsession is a problem most of us have suffered with. I tried joining RR Hobbyists Anonymous, but found attending the meetings took too much time away from the trains.

I finally decided that the affliction was incurable, so I have tried to make the best of it.

If you enjoy the hobby as much as most of us do, count your blessings!

Again, Welcome aboard

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
Welcome aboard!

Same general story... different generation. I began with an Atlas "First Generation" train set in 1969. The rest... is fairly alarming!