Hello, newbie, with questions

tonphil1960

Dec 29, 2005
North Haledon NJ
Hi all,
I have not touched a model train in about 30 years. I am thinking about getting back into it. I have always been a casual train watcher and have had an interest in all things equipment.

I have worked in a railroad yard for a stevedoring company, I have also worked in a port where our company was served by rail. I worked as a truck mechanic. No more thank God.
I am a 1/35 scale armor modeler, I have built ships and do a little figure painting. I am also an oil painter, and history lover.

I give you this info because I am more interested in building trains and structures I think than I am in running them. The reason I think railroad modeling would suit me is because at least when I am done with all the building I can build a layout and run it too. I am thinking about N guage,,,, are there kits in this guage?? N is because I really have no place to set up a layout except the small room I use now for modeling the layout would have to go on my existing workbench.

So what'ca think will I be satisfied with building N scale kits? If they exist.. I really can't go HO unless I just build and never build a layout which would suck.

OK enough,, Thanks much,, Tony ^_^

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Hi Tony...

You could go ahead and build HO scale structures and then send them to me to use on MY future layout! ;)

tonphil1960

Dec 29, 2005
North Haledon NJ
Ha Ha, Yeah I know,, Hey I have nothing against commision work !!!!! ya wanna pay???

Sooner or later the layout will come.. Just not in the immed future

Tony...............

kadidle

Nov 10, 2005
Vaughn MT
www.rail-exchange.com
Tony, I'm an old HO modeler, and frankly, I'm enjoying the challenge of N. Trying to get the same level of detail in almost half the space. :D Me and the boss are still in negotiation of building our new layout in N (she doesn't agree that it's a "challenge", more like masochism!) If you wish to be able to eventually see a train go by your creations, I'd go N or if you want a REAL challenge, try Z.

N Scale appears to have enough kits, detail items, etc to make it worthwhile for a person, Z on the otherhand seems a little more light still. HO has a bewildering array of products.

Personally I would go with the smallest subject I was comfortable modeling, for myself that was N, others may go either way (larger or smaller).

tonphil1960

Dec 29, 2005
North Haledon NJ
Thanks Mike, Good to know that N scale kits are out there, as long as that includes rolling stock and Loco's. This is what I want to build,,
yeah I had HO in the past, my friend when I was a kid had a N layout and I always liked the small size. As I said I have no room for a bigger HO layout anyway.

Tony

kadidle

Nov 10, 2005
Vaughn MT
www.rail-exchange.com
Nothing against the Internet sites out there, but when your backs to the wall because your new $100 loco is DOA, it sure is nice that the LHS is there. I try to support mine every chance I get (which is probably WAAAAYYY too much...) :D

tonphil1960

Dec 29, 2005
North Haledon NJ
ND 90 post

Hey Mike I checked out the post, amazing for sure. Well he does have the space to do a killer layout. I am just thinking about the time and material in that job.

Tony

A cordial welcome to the forum, tonphil, and alwill...

First of all, the terms "scale" and "gauge" refer to very different things. "Scale" refers to the fractional dimension of a model, while "gauge" refers to the the distance between rails on a track.

I model in both N scale and Z scale. There is an enormous amount of modeling available in the small scales. I would recommend starting your research by purchasing the Walthers N/Z scale catalog. Go to the Walthers website by clicking here.

Here is an example of some of my N scale modeling (a work in progress)...

siding.JPEG

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Hi, I'm 40 years between layouts, same boat as you, but I want to operate the trains, building is secondary. I chose HO because it's the smallest thing I can see and realistically work with, to give me more room for operaing.
Since YOU enjoy the building most, you should try to find model RR clubs in your area in different scales. You may find one that really needs people to build structures, and you would be a much needed welcome addition. Also you may find groups that build modules and string them together for operating sessions and find this is the perfect setting for you. Also you may find that since you enjoy modelling in 1/35 scale you may prefer to model in O gauge (1/48) or G gauge (1/20 to 1/30 more or less) because you are more comfortable with the level of detail possible.

tonphil1960

Dec 29, 2005
North Haledon NJ
Thanks

Thanks George and Z Man, Yes there are a few local clubs in my area that I want to get involved with, that will be a major learning experience. There is so much new stuff since I had my layout it's incredible. George, I would go with HO if I thought I could get a decent sized layout built but now I can't so that's why I am thinking about N, I don't mind the small size and as far as detailing I think I can handle it this small, I hope so.

regards Tony