hello! My first question

vilefileman

Dec 11, 2004
first off, a pleasure to meet all of you on this forum.
Now to my question:
I am looking for a website, that will explain, and compare, the different models of engines for HO, and their pros and cons.
Like, Spectrum, twin drive, smooth running.
Tyco Mantua - etc.
It will help identify for me the some 300 engines I havent identified yet.
thanks

Rick

Alan B

Jul 13, 2004
I don't know of any website that does independent reviews of equipment. You can look at trains.com which is Kalmbach Publishing's website. They are advertiser supported so don't look for much critical editorial content. But, with some reading between the lines, they can help. However the website is not comprehensive. Your best bet is to ask specific questions here or on the other discussion forums.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Welcome to The Gauge!

You'd be surprised at the vast amount of knowledge available here at The Gauge - if you have a digital camera, post some good pictures of the unidentified locos, and someone can probably start to help...

Andrew

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Welcome to the Gauge Rick!

Are these 300 loco's models you actually HAVE????? Or are you doing some "virtual collecting"? I have a huge collection of virtual models myself, in a folder called "Models I Want". It gets bigger every day! :D :rolleyes:

Val

vilefileman

Dec 11, 2004
Thanks

That one list is very close to what I was looking for, thank you.
Maybe we could get together as a group, and expand it.
IE - where to find companies names, marks, distiungishing features, etc.
Anyway, yes the 300 loco's are all mine, I started with about 10 from growing up, when I bought my house 10 years ago, There was a 36'x3' lionel layout that came with the house, I converted it to HO, and began buying locos from a pawn shop around the corner. The owner and I became friendly, and he started letting me have whatever I wanted each day for 10 bucks. I would come in, pick up 2 or 3 engines, hand him a 10, and away i went.
That got me to about 220 engines, but with 4 children, I came home from work and found my 4 year old son on top of the layout holding onto two Rivarossi steams that were dangling and broken in his hands, stomping on the buildings.
I dismantled everything, packed it all away, and removed the layout.
Fast forward to now, Ive bought and additional 50 or 60 loco's from the 'bay, and that is where I stand. Ive got a quick 4x8 layout thrown together, and the kids (now teenagers) help, instead of destroy. In fact my only daughter is a scratch building phenom.
Well anyway, thanks for the help, and listening.

V

vilefileman

Dec 11, 2004
Funny Thing is, I "only" have about 75 pieces of rolling stock.
Ive spent the last 2 weeks converting everything except my old solid metal streamlined coaches to kadee couplers.
A few tips, if you want.
Get the height guage, or make one for yourself.
If you have a large collection like me, get the sample pack. then you can try various combinations of the different coupler styles.
See my other thread for my pictures from my friends layout.

Rick

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
Well just a thought, you could maybe go to a model RR fleamarket (or check Ebay) for a Walthers HO catalogue from the period you were buying the loco's (or a little before that, since you were buying them used.) I suspect that would help at least get some of the more common ones (Athearn, MDC, etc.) identified.