Hello from Wisconsin

Randy Critchley

Pop-rocks
Aug 17, 2016
East central Wisconsin
Hi everyone! My name is Randy, although my frends call me "Pops". My hobbies are drawing, painting & Photography. In recent years, since I no longer work, I've taken to restoring old and damaged pictures. I discovered Paper models while paging through Pintrest. I've always loved the many hours I spent puting models together as a kid and when I saw paper models of airplanes, I had to take that up as a hobby again. I'm strictly a novice, but my grandkids love some of the small figures or dragons I make for them! I can't seem to make them fast enough!
My wife bought me a ream of card stock (mostly to keep me out of trouble!), but man, ink is expensive!! If I can figure out how to post photos, I’ll post some of my models. Well, that's all for now, looking forward to making new friends!:) ... You know, after checking out the models of merit, I've come to the conclusion that I'm WAY out of my league with my little "one page wonders".
(Very intimidating)!

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hello Randy! Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm sure you will like it here. I'm sure you will soon make new friends and figure out how to build a model. Maybe you will be able to start constructing your own models, who knows! It's not as difficult as it looks. Just hang on and do not be intimidated by small parts. They do happen on occasion, yaknow. ;)

We are a happy little bunch of paper enthusiasts. If you have a question - don't hesitate to ask. Help is on the way! :)

Have fun and enjoy! :)

Marcell

P.S.: I have sent you a PM explaining how to upload pictures. Just in case..! ;)

subnuke

Banned
Nov 18, 2007
When I teach people to scratchbuild, I always tell them to start with small, simple projects that they can complete quickly. After they complete one, they should try another subject that has a different challenge, but is still a small project. It is important to quickly finish a project to see the results of one's vision throughout the build. With a fast completion, there is a sense of accomplishment instead of frustration. Failure only happens when one quits. We only really learn when we struggle to conquer a task.

Paper modeling has build challenges completely different from other forms of modeling. There are many skills to learn. I confess I am way behind in these skills with regard to paper models. These intimidating modelers are eager to pass down their knowledge but don't really want to take on simpler builds to show the process. Their value is in helping along someone who is working his way through the learning process.

If you were to choose a small project and post a build thread with pictures along the way, there will be many benefits. You will have an international team of highly skilled modelers helping you along the way. You will also help others starting out as they see your learning process. You are definitely among a good crowd here. Troll behavior and snarkiness is quickly dealt with. There are plenty of former zealots posting their seething comments on other forums, but not here.

Complicated builds tend to be watched and admired. Simpler, training builds tend to have a lot of comments that are valuable for building the skills of the membership. Pick a build and post away. You will be only one of many who will benefit.

Reactions: Gandolf50

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Welcome to Zealot! My family moved to your area in 1906, from Minnesota.
Those one page wonders have a wealth of knowledge in them, as well as all the JOY they give, when built you gain satisfaction and when given to your Grand-kids you give and receive joy! They also allow you to learn how to use the tools of the trade! Just about everything in those intimidating builds can be learned from the small one pagers, then the 2, 4 , 7 so forth! Like Revell-Fan said, Got a Question, ask away!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Welcome aboard Randy! This would be a good place to post pics of ANYTHING you have made, be it a house car, model,etc. Welcome to Zealot. :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Hello Randy,

Welcome to Zealot. You have come to the right place for learning about paper modeling. The members here range from novice (OH my god, what have I just gotten myself into???:sadno::Computer::headbange:) to the designer level (that design models for top level movie companies.:hide:.
We are all here to lend a hand to new members. All you have to do is ask, and one of us will help you (or at least point you in the right direction). So I hope that you enjoy yourself here.
Once again welcome aboard.