Hello from "Up North" Michigan

shorty442

The Tree
Feb 11, 2011
Newaygo, MI
My name is Randy, just found and registered onto this forum for sharing model railroading info & experiences. (just starting an N scale layout in an 8x12 space).

I turn 65 at the end of Feb, took an incentive retirement two years ago from Bosch Automotive (was Allied Signal & Bendix) due to economic downturn. We found a nice log cabin style house and garage on 5 wooded acres about 30 mi NNW of Grand Rapids so this is our "Up North" manor after our Northern Indiana flatlands life. Have kept up with this year's snow thus far.

We've down sized accordingly for the retirement move so now it's time for me to build that long dreamed about N scale empire. I model in the NW RR motifs; GN, NP, WP, SP&S, etc. I intend the layout to be a freelance have-fun theme loosely based on the GN & NP operations in the Pacific NW - mountains, gorges, trestles, bridges, etc. We have grandboys nearby so one mandate is several loops so visitors can see trains run. Our friends & family don't really care about operating with waybills, etc and neither do I.