Hello from Michigan

stilgarhammer

Hello everyone,
Just thought I would intro myself, I am a self employed Automobile customizer, doing anything from new interiors to custom parts inside and out. I have been making costumes off and on for about 20 years now. My first purpose made costume was a imperial Klingon from the star trek next generation. Then there was star wars, then I got into reenactments, civil war, Japanese, Mongolian, Viking. Now I am doing classic battlestar galactica. Most of my costumes are made from fiberglass and are designed by me, based off actual costumes used in TV and movies.

Thanks,
stilgarhammer

Z

Zathros

Hi, "we;come1: to the forum. Nice to have an auto customierzer here. I restored old Mercedez Benz's for a while, but haven't done any exterior customizing. Have built engines though. Make sure you read the Rules and Plicies, especially the "No Downloads" for 30 days part, and please, stay in active threads. Look at the dates, more than a couple of months old, then it's left to the original poster if he wants to ad more. Adding "Nice Job', does not enhance the thread. there are always exceptions though. If a model is available again that wasn't, that would be considered a substantial contribution and would be a worthwhile post. We get a lot of spammers posting in the old threads, it always sets off a "O.K., who's that?" kind of response.

Welcome aboard! Hope to see some pics , especially of the Battlestar Galactica stuff, we are fans of that, and most Sci Fi for that matter here. :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the forum. I see that you said that you like BSG, well there is quite a bit to choose from (both old and new), as well as other Sci-Fi models.

If you have any questions, comment, or need advice, please feel free to ask, and we will do what we can to help you (or at least guide you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome aboard, and i look forward to seeing your work.

stilgarhammer

As requested some pics of some of the stuff I do.

1956 Ford custom truck, I did the interior and hood.

56fordcustom.jpg

Restored 1979 El camino

1978elcamino.jpg

Restored 1969 Dodge charger (same as general Lee)

1969charger.jpg

stilgar

Z

Zathros

oh man, I just saw a '79 El Camino, and told my son that was a vehicle I really want to own, he looked at me like I was nuts, kids, what do they now? Excellent! :)

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
GREAT LOOKING cars. My father had a 1979 El camino like the one you posted (except it did not have the black stripes on it).

The Cylon costume looks GREAT!!!
There are quite a few people here that will LOVE it as well.

stilgarhammer

Update

Been awhile since I posted, I have been busy with family and other projects. So I thought I would give a update. After about 6 years my doctor has given me the OK to return to pounding metal. I had severely damaged my right shoulder and elbow. I was told that if I did not stop hammering, I would loose function of the arm. I was told I could return hammering on a limited basis.

So for the last 5 weeks I have been working on my first helmet since my injury. It is a Replica katsushige type samurai kabuto. Made in 20 gauge steel. My research suggest that there are only 2 examples in museums. The pics I could find were of a bad angle and I had alot of guess work.

All that remains is the tie cord. My goal is to have the complete armour for Halloween.

c5i5.jpg

3hur.jpg

nyni.jpg

museum pic of example..

hdtj.jpg

stilgar

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
That is a BEAUTIFUL helmet.
KUDOS TO YOU ON A FINE JOB WELL DONE!!!

I am glad to hear that you are physically able to return to something that you really like to do!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
It's great to hear from you again! I am very happy your surgery and recovery went well. You helmet is a work of art. Do you have an English wheel, Planisher, or was it all with a sand bag and hammers. Neither way is cheating. Incredible craftsmanship!

stilgarhammer

It's great to hear from you again! I am very happy your surgery and recovery went well. You helmet is a work of art. Do you have an English wheel, Planisher, or was it all with a sand bag and hammers. Neither way is cheating. Incredible craftsmanship!

I have few power tools to work with. I have to cheat a little because of the arm, I use electric shear cutters to cut the metal parts out. All the forming was done with 2 hammers, anvil, and sandbag/fluting tool, and hand drill.

stilgar

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
THIS IS EXCEPTIONAL AND A TRUE PIECE OF ART!

You have captured the look of the ancient helmet so good that I wouldn't be surprised if someone thinks it was a real one. This is mueseum quality work. I am sure if you show it to the right people (museum directors for example) they would hire you immediately for making some repros for their exhibitions.

MOREOVER:

This helmet is a good base for making an ancient Cylon, you know, the one the Galacticans found on the first Earth..!

Rogerio Silva

2nd!

THIS IS EXCEPTIONAL AND A TRUE PIECE OF ART!

You have captured the look of the ancient helmet so good that I wouldn't be surprised if someone thinks it was a real one. This is mueseum quality work. I am sure if you show it to the right people (museum directors for example) they would hire you immediately for making some repros for their exhibitions.

Totally agreed! It looks so FANTASTIC, man, and Revell-Fan said it all. You can be pretty proud of your job, no doubts about it.jawdrop
One more thing: I don't think you're cheating at all. :thumb: :cool: :thumb: :cool:

stilgarhammer

Thanks guys/gals. :wave:
I still need to relearn a few things and I found my hand eye coordination is off, I seem not to be able to hit a penny in the center now. It will take time but it will come back.

stilgar