Hello from Kansas

jjsher

My name is Jon and I am a middle school industrial technology teacher. I discovered paper models while crusing the internet back in 2009. They really caught my attention due to what I teach, so I started to scour the internet for models and discovered this forum which I joined back then. I quickly realized that most of the models I found were beyond my ability level at the time so I started putting together some of the very simple models that I had found trying to improve my skill while I read some of the posts in this and a couple of other forums. Unfortunately my ADHD kicked in because while I was looking for models, I found other forms of the paper art such as origamic architecture and paper cutting which distracted me me and since they seemed easier to gain skill in for me I ran off with those interests. Life then intervened and took most of my free time away, but now I am trying to get back into paper models and improve my skill level so that I can build some of the beautiful models I have seen here. I come from a line of collectors (read hoarders. LOL) that tend to get into something and try to get everything in that area, so I have collected way more models than I probably could ever build, but that means I should be able to always find something I would be interested in making. I have not as yet, developed one overall area/topic to specialize in such as airplanes.
If I can find them on my older computer, I will try to post a few of the pictures I took of the early models I built. I might even post a few pictures of some of the paper cuttings and origamic architecture items I made.
I look forward to reading up on the models and techniques here that I am sure will help improve my skills.
Sorry for the long post. I have also been accused of talking to much. Bye for now, but I will comment some more as I find things to join in on.

silveroxide

You are finally official and welcome to the forum. I myself have an abundance of models, that I will never get around to all of them. It is not that I can't build them fast, it is that I like to embellish my models with lots of details. Hope to see some of your works around here. Remember, the name of the game around here, is to enjoy and have fun.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Jon, and welcome to the forum.
It is always interesting to have a teacher as a member (especially in the subject that you teach). You have come to the right place to learn about paper modeling.
You will find that everyone here has varied and different backgrounds (everything from Machinists to Mental Health professional, from Cook to Cops, and everything in between). Not only that but also have a WIDE variety of interests as well.
The members here are friendly and willing to lend a helping hand or advice (when needed).

By the way, have you thought about using some of the easy projects for your class as either for "FUN" or for "EXTRA CREDIT" work?

There are many sites that have very simple projects that highlight the basic geometric shapes (as well as the more complex ones).
Here are a few site that have GREAT STARTER models:

http://www.korthalsaltes.com/

http://www.papertom.com/papertoys/faites-de-la-propagande/

By all means, please post any (and all) projects that you have done.
When you start a project, please post a build thread of it as well. (We love seeing photos).

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or need help or advice. Please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing you work.

I hope that you enjoy yourself here.

jjsher

I have done some very basic paper models with some of my students. I actually have some very basic models of houses and such as well as some origamic architecture items on display in the school library. I also have some of my paper cuttings hung up in my room as well as a few pieces of fretwork I have done which are basically the same a paper cuttings just done in wood. This has from time to time generated student interest in the topics. I have worked with any student that shows genuine interest in any of these areas to pursue them and point them in the right direction to learn more about it as well as work with them on the simple things I can do to get them started.
A couple of times I have done some real basic stuff in paper modeling or paper cutting as a club after school or during the encore time we have at school with the group of students I have at that time. Some really get into it which is great. Unfortunately, to many middle school students haven't developed the patience to keep at it long enough to start showing any real progress at the skills necessary before they give it up. I keep trying when I get the chance though, as the ones that really get in to it make it worth it.
Thanks for the sites, I will definitely use some of the stuff I find there.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I think exposing your students to this hobby is a great gift and it is something they may return to, or share with someone else. Welcome aboard! :)

bob neill

What part of SE Kansas? We live in Wichita and am involved with the Wichita Toy Train Club. I find model railroading quite fasinating becouse whatever your intrest, it fits. Then with paper models, whatever scale you want is available. I too have been attempting to lead young people (astray) into model building.

Bob Neill

jjsher

I live in the very SE corner of Kansas near Joplin. I did model railroading when I was a little kid, but we really didn't have room for it growing up so I got out of it. I still really like looking at all of the details people put on the train layouts though. I occasionally toy with the idea of creating some kind of outdoor garden type railroad, but I always realize I don't have the money for something that cool. LOL
I actually did a few HO scale buildings when I was working with one group of students that the school librarian took home to put on her small railroad setup.

jjsher

I have finally had time to gather some pictures to share of the projects I have done so far. How do I go about adding the pictures to my posts? And should I just add them to this post? (Some of them are not models anyway.)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Posting photos

I have finally had time to gather some pictures to share of the projects I have done so far. How do I go about adding the pictures to my posts? And should I just add them to this post? (Some of them are not models anyway.)

Actually, it would be best to start a new thread and group the photos according to the categories that they belong in.

As for the process of adding photos, Go to the category that the matches the models. Click the "NEW THREAD" button. A new screen will open. Put in the title.
On the control panel above the text box you will see a button with a paperclip on it, click on it. That will bring up a window to add your photos. Just follow the directions from there.
Once you have the photos in the text box, you can add text either above or below the photos. Click the "Preview Post" button to review your post and to see if you need to make any changes to your post before clicking the "Submit Reply" button.

As for the photos of things that are not related to models, they would go in the "OFF TOPIC" category.

I am looking forward to seeing your work.