Hello from Iowa

frap10

Oct 16, 2013
Brand new member just saying hello.

There's a lot great information here and looking forward to learning.

My background is software and my modelling experience has been with plastic kits a long time ago. Been feeling the urge to model again and found this place.

- Dean

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Hello and welcome to the forum. I am glad that you found us.
If I may ask, what genre are you interested in?
Is there a particular model that you are looking for?
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or need help or advice, please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome aboard and I hope that you enjoy yourself here.

frap10

Oct 16, 2013
Thanks for the welcome!

I mainly built naval ships, aircraft and scifi.

Currently looking at trying make accessories for aircraft such as making my own engines. They can be expensive add-ons - like in the twenty dollar range. Not really wanting to add $80 worth of parts to a WWII bomber model. I have read some articles about doing that sort of thing in paper or even punched plastic.

Plus there are so many affordable choices with paper modelling. And I like to learn new things.

Thanks again, Dean

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Welcome Frap10, glad to have you aboard. I have been to your beautiful state and am quite envious of your BIG SKY! I live in Connecticut. Hope to see your work and we are a sharing forum so if you have anyquestions or are looking for something, let us know. ;)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
You have come to the right place for SCI-FI (as well as all things militaria). We have many members who are into SCI-FI (including me) and MILITARIA modeling. So you have a GREAT deal to choose from and MANY people to talk to and ask all of the questions that you want to.
As for add-on parts in paper, (again) you have come to the right place. There are many members here who GREATLY LOVE to add extra detail to their models (Me included). Paper (unlike most other mediums) gives you that option at a VERY LOW cost.
One of the best modelers that we have here to talk to about detailing out ANY MODEL, is Silveroxide. He is our resident detailer. Contact him and look up any of his threads and you will see what I am talking about.

ENJOY YOUR SELF AND HAVE FUN!!!

frap10

Oct 16, 2013
Zathros - yeah Iowa can be nice - though the summers are pretty humid. I really like B5 too.

Thanks for the advice Rhaven. Just seeing what people have done with detailed items like cockpits and landing gear gives me something to strive for.

Thanks again for the welcomes - have a great day