Hello from germany

EBT #15

Oct 25, 2007
Hello communiy-members,hello Peter

thats my first post here and i'll hope not my last 1.

Sorry for my english, it's not my best and a little bit rusty:eek:ops:
but my last lesson is about 23 years in the past.

I'm interested in modelrailroading since my childhood , first in german state railway.
About 12 jears ago i purchased my first MR and since that time i'm fascinated from
the railroads in the United States and the layouts i've seen in the magazin.
My special interest are the WSOR,WC and the SOO-Line ( but only in the "Candyapple-
red" painting) and the narrow-gauge EBT RR.
At the point i'm planning a narrowgauge 0n30 layout in 10'6'' x 12' ( 3,16 m x 3,60 m),
trackplan will follow.

Hope we have a nice time here:wave:

Martin

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Welcome to The Gauge Martin! You're English is just fine. Glad you could join us. Looking forward to hearing more about your layout's progress!
Ralph

chooch.42

Jan 23, 2007
Gibsonia, Pa.
Welcome to The Gauge, Martin, pleased to have you with us. There are a lot of good folks here from all over with questions and (almost as many) answers...a friendly and helpful group. Bob C.

Tommybza

Feb 15, 2007
N W Indiana
Martin , welcome to the madness ,This is a fun group ,if you have the time you can find what your looking for , order some one will post a link . then the fun really starts , enjoy your self have a nice day .
prost!
Tommy

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Martin,
Sie schrieben an Englisch besser dann ich schriebe an Deutsche! Die Bahn ist sehr gut!

I love the East Broad Top. I've been there twice...and I can't wait to go back. I've only ridden behind #14...but I believe that #15 was having her every 15yrs boiler inspection (a relatively new US law after a 4-6-2 had a non-catastrophic explosion in the 1990's). I model Colorado narrow gauge...specifically the South Park...in On3. (there will be EBT stuff on my future layout...in the future!)

Bill's Train Shop offers a nice line of EBT stuff...although I think it is expensive. I'd love to find a nice sale on one of their EBT #11 kits...but it is all On3. If you haven't seen the Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette...you need to get a copy since you're interested in On30 and the EBT. I think you could probably use almost any On3 cars as On30 rolling stock by just swapping out the trucks. Grandt Line & San Juan Car Company make wonderful freight car kits and locomotives.

This might also be of interest to you...Factory Direct Trains

Welcome to the forum!

Michael

EBT #15

Oct 25, 2007
Hello folks ( hope i can say it ),

thanks for your pleasant welcome here in this community :wave:
I think modelrailroading is bounce7 , is the right way !!!!

Martin

Will be continued :mrgreen:

Gruesse Dich, Martin,
welcome, Martin,

a new member of German's model railroader community has entered this forum again. Enjoy to meet you. Where are you from?

If you are interested I write from time to time in "Scratchin' and bashin'" and I'm sure Zealot / The Gauge is one of best forum worlwide and thus I prefer writing about my modeling jobs. Let hear from you again.

Bernhard

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Tag! I'm new on these pages as well, but was born in Heidelberg! My Dad was in the Army and stationed in Germany and my Mom went over to live with him off-base. Voila! I like the old-time railroads the best, like the Best Friend of Charleston, but also fantasy stuff like the Halloween and Christmas trains. Little by little this is becoming an obsession!

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
I like the old-time railroads the best, like the Best Friend of Charleston,

Sehr Gut! I plan to do some of that at some point...scratch building a few small engines and a number of cars. White's American Railroad Passenger Cars provides some wonderful information (and plans) for building early railroad equipment.

As my sig suggests...my favorites are 19th century Colorado narrow gauges and the NKP prior to the arrival of the first diesels in 1948...but I definitely have a soft spot for early railroading.

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Cool! I picked up The History of North American Steam by Christopher Chant and there are some great pics. I really like that book. Also I have an encyclopedia of Steam Locos somewhere with good line-drawings. I'd love to get into that stuff, but still just getting into the hobby at this point and need to have something to run it all on first.

BTW: EBT -- I have bought several books and dvds from Amazon.de and I'm absolutely sure you could buy from Amazon.com (US version) - lots of good books out there about American railroads and related stuff, as well as cheaper prices on books on model railroading.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Cool! I picked up The History of North American Steam by Christopher Chant and there are some great pics. I really like that book. Also I have an encyclopedia of Steam Locos somewhere with good line-drawings. I'd love to get into that stuff, but still just getting into the hobby at this point and need to have something to run it all on first.

A few basic tools go a long way...and perhaps one of Bachman's DeWitt Clinton sets to get you started so that you have something to run now.

The most useful tools...for building neat things...are:
-digital caliper ($15-$20 at Harbor Freight or similar)
-a nice, small mill file
-some small diamond files
-a sharp hobby knife
-a miniature pin-vise drill...plus miniature drill bits (#61-80...and a #55)
-tweasers
-needle nose pliers

Start off with something like a DeWitt Clinton set...in HO...but you might that things such as the Best Friend of Charleston might be easier to work with in a larger scale: S, O, or No1 gauge. I switched from HO to O because my 3' gauge trains are too small in HO...but fine in O.

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
A few basic tools go a long way...and perhaps one of Bachman's DeWitt Clinton sets to get you started so that you have something to run now.

The most useful tools...for building neat things...are:
-digital caliper ($15-$20 at Harbor Freight or similar)
-a nice, small mill file
-some small diamond files
-a sharp hobby knife
-a miniature pin-vise drill...plus miniature drill bits (#61-80...and a #55)
-tweasers
-needle nose pliers

Start off with something like a DeWitt Clinton set...in HO...but you might that things such as the Best Friend of Charleston might be easier to work with in a larger scale: S, O, or No1 gauge. I switched from HO to O because my 3' gauge trains are too small in HO...but fine in O.

I'm afraid we're highjacking EBT's thread!? Check out my thread, hello from Missouri!