Hello and a Question or two

jcprn

Jan 26, 2005
Hello,

First off a thank you to the people that make this forum possible, it has been a great resourse for me and others I know.

Second, this is my first post, but have been reading for a few months and look at it everyday if possible.

Third, I am having to take a business trip here shortly that will be about 2-3 weeks long. The days will be busy, but the nights would be just sitting in a hotel. So I am looking for some suggested projects that would not take allot of space or different materials. I would have to be able to pack all of the required tools/materials in a suit case and the finished project would have to travel well in a suitcase back home. I have never scratch built anything, but want to try. I am thinking of a Cereal board building or a few kits for some rolling stock. I am looking for any suggestions. Willing to try most anything.

I just have some "N" scale trains running around my desk at the moment and haveing allot of fun with that. working on a track plan for a 8' X 39" space so I should be able to get allot of track in that area. I never thought I would have fun just switching cars around but with my little desk set up I have two sidings and I am finding that when I need to move cars around it is allot more fun to do it with an engine and not by hand, so my yard will be allot bigger than I originally planed. I think I will be looking for a good size yard that offers allot of switching oppertunities (sp?). Again any suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the LONG post

John

Sitting between two UP lines in the Sierra of Northern California

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Welcome aboard John.

Will you have a laptop with you on your trip?
If so, my suggestion would be to continue working on the track plan on it as well as working on cardstock buildings. You could do the buildings on the computer, use photos to get a realistic look and then print them out on "Card Stock", Walmart up here carries Georgia Pacific Card Stock. 150 sheets, White, 110 lb. stock.

Have a look at Paper Creek Models to get an idea of what I mean.
www.papercreek.com

sams

Dec 17, 2004
hello john,
and welcome :)
i think will's suggestions are great.
the paper creek models looks increadible.
or, of course, you can scratchbuild your own!
all you'll need is some sturdy cardstock,
and maybe some scale lumber.
just remember that if you're flying...
don't take glues or paints in carry on ;)...

jcprn

Jan 26, 2005
Yes, I am flying

Didn't think about the glues and paint on carry on. I hope the bottles of paint would be ok in the checked in bags. Did figure out one project, Got my Kato California Zephyr set today, so I will get a lighting kit and lots of people to put in it. I suppose I will be painting each one of them. That should kill a night or two.

Thanks for the replys, Keep them coming.

John

p.s. who has good "sitting" unpainted figures?

thx

sams

Dec 17, 2004
john
preiser has a set of 120 "seated" people (unpainted).
item number 79007
retails for $24.99