Hello! An introduction and a question

LocoIndy76

Jan 6, 2007
Greenfield, In
I have ALWAYS been a train nut. I had a train when I was a child and it never worked right, but that didn't deter me from enjoying it. I could go to our local childrens musuem and watch the train for hours... I still could. I got married a year an a half ago and this Christmas we went to local Zoo for Christmas event and they had a few trains set up for display. This got me wanting a new train that I could set up at our house. Then this weekend we had a HUGE train show in Indianapolis. My wife offered to buy me a train set. We don't have a LOT of extra money so I bought a Bachmann Explorer. I like N scale the best, I have always liked the style of Sante Fe engines, and I like the double engine set-up. Unfortunately the light doesn't work on it(I'm going to call Bachmann today about that).

I plan on making my own wilderness scene for it, and that is DEFINITELY going to take some time since I have NEVER made ANYTHING like it before.... It should be fun. We are limited on space so I don't want a scene that has a lot of buildings or people in general. I plan on having some hiking trails with some hikers and a small camp with 1-2 tents and a fire(if I can find these things). MAYBE a small cabin and some water. Let me know what you think of this idea so far.

Please give me ANY advice or places I should look for ideas and materials to start this project....

My main question. I worked for Schnieder National as a driver for 4 years. I drove cross country and would see trains carrying Schneider trailers ALL the tim. While at the show in Indianapolis, I saw a couple different Schneider National set-ups and would LOVE to have one for my train. I saw a DELUXE INNOVATIONS brand (http://www.discounttrainsonline.com/dto/item238-180510.html) 6 trailer set that was REALLY nice, but I prefer a different set-up. I don't really want more than 1 or 2, and I want a standard trailer setting on a flatbed or Schneider Intermodal Containers setting on a flatbed. I found the former in HO scale, but nothing in N scale.... I did see I could get Schneider National decals, so this may be my only choice....

Any help would be GREATLT appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Matt

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Walthers does NOT have Athearn or MDC in their catalog either. Horizon Hobbies has those lines.

For my era MDC seems to be the only ones making the rolling stock. Unless you count the junk that Bachmann passes off as "Old Time".

As for magazines, there is N Scale Railroading and N Scale Magazine, I prefer N Scale Magazine as they seem to go into more depth, N Scale Railroading is the "prettier" magazine though. :D Also, Kirk Reddie NEVER seems to have any real comments in his editorial page, he only gives a sentence or two on each article in the magazine, and his comments are seldom anything but a factual expansion of the table of contents. At least Hundman used to voice an opinion and get people talking about specific events or news happenings. Come on Kirk, create a thought and share it. :D

Although the last couple of issues of N Scale Magazine have had a tremendous visual improvement. Hundman sold out to Platimun Rails. The new editor Pamela Clapp seems to be doing a better job.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
I agree with what's already been said, Walthers catalogs are almost dead and N Scale trumps N Scale Railroading. :D

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
Brian Schmidt said:
I agree with what's already been said, Walthers catalogs are almost dead and N Scale trumps N Scale Railroading. :D

Of course, some know-it-alls may have the entire list of all N Scale items in their heads; or some folk may have bought all the catalogs out there, or visited all the websites, but for newcomers to N Scale, the Walthers Book, with over 450 pages, is going to be very useful.
It may not list every single manufacturer, but especially for items other than rolling stock (scenery, structures, electrics etc etc) it is invaluable for someone either new to the hobby or to the Scale.
BTW - I have no link with the company:D