Heljan trestle kits

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
Hi all: What has been anyone's experience with Heljan trestle kits? I guess they are plastic? but how do they end up looking with some wearthering etc?
Thanks for your input
Dwight77

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
You are right, Heljan trestles are styrene plastic kits.

I haven't built a trestle, but here is a pic of the Heljan coaling tower wich also has lots of "wooden" beams. It is a bit annoying that there are lots of flat, round dimples which are produced when the part is pushed out of the mold. First I rasped them all away with knive and my Dremel.
For weathering I took a metal saw blade and scratched all the beams lengthwise. Then I painted the plastic with acrylics - a mix of brown, black and some red. I leave it to your judgement, if this looks 'woody' enough for you. (BTW: I'll tone down the plastic shine later - still obvious when photographing with flash - with Dullcote, when the model is complete.)

The disadvantage: You need lots of time and patience for all that, especially I you have to do all the timbers of a big trestle! :eek: With some good music or a nice TV program this can be a bit easier! :D

Ron

Attachments

• CoalingTower.jpg
    CoalingTower.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 91

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I have a web article on making plastic look like weathered wood at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/weathered_plastic/

I paint the plastic white and stain the paint

weathered_plastic.jpg

An HO IHC old time water tank frame