Heinkel He-111 (GPM, 1:33)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Mindaugas, Jan 24, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

MAN! That is sweeeeet! Cant someone go back to doing some mediocre models on here so I dont fee quite so inadequate? :D
    Chris
  2. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I'll post a picture of my Connie when it is finished, that should build up your ego...:oops:
  3. chapuzas100

chapuzas100 Member

These making a great work, although I believe that your already you know it
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

So-So! Who are you trying to fool?!?!
    I look forward to your every post, Mindaugas!
    Your builds are always top notch!
    This one looks right on par with everything else, fantastic as always!

Russell
  5. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hey guys,

Thank you for warm comments :) I am so happy.

So after a long break, I am back again. I had busy studies, a trauma, and I was involved in other activities. But at the turtle speed I was progressing.

So heres' the update:

I have made the backs of the instruments panels using various junk, like wires, pieces of cord and so on.. And then everything was painted. This was done according to reference photos, given by you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cockpit. I had much embarassment with installation of interior items into the greenhouse. Since I have added many details to them, some things were hidded or just didn't fit. So i had to clip a bit :) Also I had many headache with attaching last segment of greenhouse. So here I made a plywood former from scratch and sanded it to the angle. I am expecting to get at least average result.. but I've allready failed in doing so, because no He-111 cockpit had such a "fat" frame. But it is for the seam's beauty :D

Interior:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall view:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wings :) I've started to make their framework. Some parts are from cardboard, and some from aviation plywood (~1mm thick) to add strengh. It seams, that wing's geometry is OK, but it is in a need for some sanding, framework isn't smooth. But I will do sanding at a stretch when I fill it with foam. So.. GPM designed a complex framework, but it seems to work. Also you can see flaps and aileroons.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Size (Matt is A3) :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engines... They have consumed so much time! The framework is all cardboard. I suppose, that it will be enough strength. Also I didn't use plywood for these, because your hand gets very tired and blade gets dull quickly when cutting it. After the plywood, the card is being cut as a butter :) When skinning, I had to sand the framework, because it seemed to be a little too large. Also I had problems matching the skin to the exaust bays, so I had to use some sharp razor. Next step here, is to completely paint all the white areas I got after "razoring".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Propellors, engine frontal parts.

[​IMG]

The hinge of the rudder... Unpainted.

[​IMG]

Angled rudder:

[​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck and until the next update! ;)
    --
  6. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Glad to see this thread started again! Great work!
  7. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

Looking excellent so far. The 111 is one of my favourite German aircraft so I'll be watching thisun with interest.
  8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Awesome!! Glad to see you're back on track again!
  9. lriera

lriera Member

Its a very original way of do it. I am following it with a lot of interest.
  10. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Welcome back Mindaugas!! You've no idea how pleasant it is to see you back on the forum here. Hope things are better for you now. Your He111 thread is one I've reread often and with just as much enjoyment as the first time. Looking forward to your resumption of this thread with great anticipation.
  11. amos357

amos357 a-c

To avoid stains , try a thin coat of "FIXATIVE" spray on paint parts, befor cut
    it's do the job.

amos
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Welcome back. This build is just fabulously detailed - great job again!
  13. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

just look at any one of my threads. itl make ya feel better.

just unbeleivable work. iam astounded!
  14. DHL

DHL Member

this is a beautie:eek:!
  15. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello everybody,

@ Everyone, who replied here: Thank you for your nice comments :) I am very happy.

@ amos357: Yes, I know this techique. In order to lower the stains chance even more I try to work with "colored" parts very carefully, using tissues, and washing hands often :) Oh, and maybe that stain on tailfin had mistaken you, but there's only a swastika photoshopped ;)

Firstly, I am sorry for the quality of pictures, because my camera died after making three pics and I wanted to show my progress so much, that I didn't wait for batteries to recharge and I used my mobile phone. So those three colourful and contrast pictures are made by camera - others by phone.

The main subject of today's post is frameworks of moveable surfaces (aileroons, flaps..). Next stage is to fill all voids with foam, sand it and then I can easily "skin" the whole wing area.

[​IMG]

Here I am researching the landing gear well. I made two conclusions: 1) I had to laminate the sidewalls of wheel wells, therefore I had to make more space by cutting out some framework. 2) I ommited that card liner, because the wheel well depth becomes inapropriate. I suppose, that these are GPM's mistakes.

[​IMG]

Thickened landing gear wells:

[​IMG]

Bad liner, bad..

[​IMG]

Flaps :) These are one of the most beautiful places of this model. Here you can see their push-in structure. Hinges are at the bottom in order to make flaps hang, but not to rotate. In this picture, whole wing structure is showed upside-down.

[​IMG]

Angled flaps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aileroons. They are quite tight, so I made many imprecisions. I hope, that "sanding" will solve everything.

[​IMG]

Aileroon's hinge. Soaked in superglue for extra strength:

[​IMG]

And for the end: Here you see some missmatches. I don't know where they are from, but maybe it is my mistake, when building such a complex framework, or maybe GPM's designing mistake.. Well, I hope to "sand out" everything ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a nice day! :)
    --
  16. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello!

Here you see the upper gunner's place. I haven't made many additional imrovements here, only I sticked the iron sights for machinegun. In internet and my reference books I found many variants of those iron aims, but I chose the most simple on (Well... I could have done ones with the metal circle and cross, but... whatever :) ) Also I'm not sure 'bout this dual magazine, because none of my references proved it. I saw sooo many machinegun variants for He-111, and they had direct feeds, single magazines, and even dual feeds (but this applies only for dual barrel gun - while mine is single). So.. I left as GPM suggests.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Propellors. I have filled the cones' inside with foam to give some support for blades. A little bit of sanding, and painting awaits... It's a pity I hadn't made perfect seams, because author's pictures in magazine show nicely finished seams.. I'm envy for him :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and I have a question, without I cannot move further. Please tell me what was the He-111's propellor configuration? Rotating to one side (in such case pilot should add throttle to one side); or counter-rotating?? Also, which direction do they rotate? For example P-38J had counter-rotating props, which rotate outwards from the cockpit.

That is all. Thanks for watching and good luck ;)
    --
  17. Kezn

Kezn pwned in the dawn

that's awesome.
    Thank for sharing the nice works with us.

Regards,
    Kezn.
  18. eric_son

eric_son Member

Hi,

I always thought that 2 engined planes had counter rotating props to eliminate the engine torques.
    But after seeing your inquiry, I checked my reference books. The frontal diagrams I've found indicate that they don't have counter rotating props. :confused: Both props rotate counter clockwise.
    But then again, these are not photographs -- they are just artist's paintings.

Eric
  19. eric_son

eric_son Member

Wait!
    I stand corrected! :oops:
    I've found a picture of an HE-111Z in one of my reference books. It does seem that the props all rotate in one direction.

I took a picture of the page:
    [​IMG]

Eric
  20. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello!

Thank you for your comments. Eric son, special thanks for this knowledge, which will help improving my model.
    So a little update on this veeery slowly paced topic.

That's a cradle of belly gunner. It wasn't very difficult, but I have smeared the glazing a little. Interior didn't receive such attention, as exterior, so you can compare. Exterior is much cleaner. But, when it is attached, the interior won't be that visible. Perfectionism should be always, but this time I can't tell why.
    Interesting, how will it be able to integrate into the main fuselage. Also this cradle lacks the bubble window with MG, because I will make all double curving glazing at one time with my heat moulding machine. There will be 3 or 4 pieces of that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wheels. I have cut many circles of cardboard with my Olfa circle-cutter, glued them together, attached them to electric grinder, and grinded to round shape. Then I immersed them into plastic modeler's Goddess "Future" chemical, expecting to make them hard, and avoid paint soaking inside, when paiting. It was ok, but wheels cracked on seams, when "Future" was drying... I have repaired one wheel with a glue and pressure of tons of heavy books, but when repairing second one, I used paper clips (I was lazy to carry books around), and these left deep marks. I had to use wood cement... I didn't want to cut another full wheel with Olfa, because of my painful blisters on fingers.

[​IMG]

Here, besides these wheels you can see rim parts. Some of these were poorly designed (the white areas were much larger, that attachable parts itself), so I had to paint them at all. Those thin rings were made with special circle ruler and rapidograph.
    Also NOTE: The Olfa circle-cutter in the background has a little modification. That's a ~1mm thick polystirene sheet (maybe a wedge made from it), which holds the body of the Olfa firmly. If you don't use it, your Olfa is wobbling, and you cut spirals (when increasing pressure), instead of circles. Then you can throw these parts away..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The landing gear support was made in a little bit another method. It was assembled without painting edges, and then I have painted them all at once. It is somehow faster, but your paint doesn't always go where it is supposed to go - i.e. it leaves marks on surfaces around closely placed edges. Well.. not the right method for WHOLE model, but for such parts it's OK.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Completed engines. I like the result, maybe one of them has some inferior seams.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all. Good luck! :)
    --