Heinkel He-111 (GPM, 1:33)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Mindaugas, Jan 24, 2007.

1. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Hi Mindaugas,

Most of the pictures I uploaded were from an He-111/P-2. The P versions were similar to the H versions but had different engines. They were the first versions to have the all glass nose and were produced from 1938 to 1940. The particular aircraft is 5J + CN and is from the Norwegian Armed Forces Museum in Oslo, Norway.

SteveK
  2. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

Townsman. Thanks for note. I will keep this in mind, since 90% of interior modification is made according to your photos :)

Pawell from kartonbau forum provided me with a nice tutorial on how to make realistic seatbelts from tobacco rolling paper. It is thin, easy to form, and it drabs nicely and seems, that gravity is also modelled :) Paper is not very suitable in this case, because of its thickness and rigidness. It is a pity, that I haven't read that forum for quite a time, and I only noticed that message after the belts were finished and glued in position. I will DEFINATELY use this technique on my next model.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7763/smolik22ft8.jpg

So. I made the pedals. What can I say - GPM was offering actually not a very accurate pedals. 22 parts should have composed seat and pedals. I raised that number up to 50 by removing, modyfing GPM's parts, and, offcourse, creating my own ones.

This is the photo, that I used to make pedals

[​IMG]

Offcourse, it is very far from real world's copy , but I hope, that I made a little step closer to reality. At least I made those pulling rods, pistons, hoses and so on.

So :) That blue color is absolutely out of touch :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All painted and I'm adding pulling rods. I dont' know how to call them, but in Lithuanian, we call them "traukes".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally everything composed, painted and connected with seat. At last I've found out how belts are made, but I missed the technique pawell offered :( Next model will be better :)

Here I will put some photos. I've experimented with lighting, but despite that, I didn't manage to get the quality I wanted. Well, maybe, this is so, because my camera is an old and nonpro one, furthermore, I did not find the right place to shoot - nearly all photos are made from the shady side - but it was just impossible to normally approach from the right side at my home. That is because I used windowstills. Moreover, I don't have the right lighting, lamps, etc... :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some small parts, that I am currently working on:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck ;)
    --
  3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Fantastic, A model in itself! This is some of the most detailed work I've ever seen!
  4. Clashster

Clashster Member

Incredible! It looks real! How did you get such a huge coin? :grin: But seriously, awesome detail! And your belts look great, despite whatever techinque you used! Thanks for the update!

Chris
  5. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Thank you guys :) That coin is the smallest from the Lithuanian coins. It has a radius of 9 mm.
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Man this subassembly is awe inspiring - great work!

Rick
  7. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

Thanks rlwhitt ;)

A little about the building of the "greenhouse".

These are precisely cut frames. I painted the edges, and other places, that in my opinion (because of my/ or GPM's fault) should not be visible, but will be visible :D I mean the inside of coloured part, near the window openings. You see, when I attach interior siding, that white can be still seen from inside.
    As I've allready mentioned, I am making this model together with my friend Donatas. He's a pro. So he's going to mould the whole nose! (Those ~10 centimeters). While I will go the "glazing" way. I will use smaller or bigger sheets to cover all the windows. For the next section, I will use connector stripes, but for third section I will probably use the edge-to-edge glueing method.. We'll see. This is a very difficult place, and this is a really difficult challenge for me :p

[​IMG]

Former

[​IMG]
    I loved that aviation plywood (~1mm thickness). Such formers, if made from card, would be useless! It would break and bend while putting it into section. While wood is very very STRONG and it is easy to work with. So, I roughly cut out the inside of it and sanded with electric grinder to perfect look. And outside of the part was cut out by leaving the reserve of 1-2 milimeters. Then, on the electric abrasive disc, it was sanded to the black line. Understand? Then I painted it, and I have a nice and tough former.

This is a pic by Donatas. He is sanding the part to shape:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/331/044cp2.jpg

Watch the video, how tough is the former. (Click the picture and wait till the movie is fully loaded, otherwise it can lag while watching).

[​IMG]

And finally I made the throttle quadrant. I added the sticks and glazed the instruments.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck! ;)
    --
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

You sure are making this a very enjoyable Sunday morning, Mindaugas!
    Your work is just fantastic!

Russell
  9. Texman

Texman Guest

Wow. Nothing more I can say. Except, good idea on using the wood for the formers.

Ray
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Exceptional Work!

Hello Mindaugas,

Marvelous work on the cockpit. This is certainly an aircraft where this type of work can really show so it's really worth the extra work. Please keep up the wonderful work and keep posting the results.

Best regards,

-Gil
  11. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

Thank you for comments.
    Russel - I'm happy, that you liked my model :) You can find far more better models on this amazing forum :)
    Ray - you should try this wood. As far as I know, you should find such thin plywood in every RC model supply shop :)
    Yes Gil, I am happy, that this work will be visible trough all that "greenhouse" :)

Well. Weekend is over. Next week I am returning to my studies, plus I will have more work after this lost week due to my illness. It was great to be lazy, but despite that (at the beginning of this week) I hadn't neither strength, nor wish to work on model with +38.7C body temperature.

Here the first section is complete. Just windows are not yet cleaned. But after everything is finished, I will clean them. Fortunately I managed to avoid super glue fumes from condesing on windows by applying constant wind (with hairfan) while glue was drying.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I added (but not glued yet) that recently finished seat with pedals.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck! ;)
    --
  12. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Absolutely amazing!

Good luck on your studies, we can't wait for the next update!

Cheers!
    Jim
  13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Great job, thank goodness you didn't have to build 2 of those seats! Good luck with studies, soon you will pass ,get a great job and have lots of time to build card models like us, oooppps wait a minute, 80+ hour weeks working in the 'hood, for ungrateful people that would rob and shoot you when you get off shift, lots of kids to take to football and gymnastics and dances, chores piled on you from your wife, on second thought STAY IN SCHOOL!!!!
  14. 57townsman

57townsman Member

WOW!! Looks just like the pictures I sent you :wink:
    Fantastic work, keep it up, but studies come first 8)

SteveK
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

DAAAAAAANG! stunning work and great pics!
    Chris
  16. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

It seems a crime to have to cover such beautiful work. Great pictures. I look forward to seeing more.
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah I'm with Ray............... WOW:grin:
  18. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Man, I'll tell you what...these have to be the sharpest pictures I have seen in a build thread...and close-ups at that! That's usually where my photography falls short, and the lighting...I usually end up with pictures out of focus and off color, and end up taking about ten shots for everyone one that is barely usable.

Besides that, the clean build with so many, many details added so very well, this has got to be one of the premier build threads going on here right now.

To make a long story short...WOW!:grin:

Cheers!
    Jim
  19. Maharg

Maharg Member

Excellent modelling Mindaugas, that seat is a work of art. Good luck with your studies. :)
  20. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello!

@Jim. Thanks for your comments! I wish I had a good camera. I am doing this with my old and common photocamera with that so-called "macro mode" :)
    @Townsman: Yeah, your contribution to this model is enormous. Without you - there wouldn't be any more-or-less accurate details. Thanks!
    @Cmdrted: I laughed out loud when reading your comment. I love being a student, and I hope I will be him for an enough long time :D
    @Bowdenja, B-Manic: This won't be extremely covered because of that openwork canopy.
    @Others: Thank you for such awesome comments. You are so kind! ;)

And the reason for being away:
    http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/Mindauxx/IMGP8940.jpg
    This is my unfinished architecture work. It was made by ink (or so called tool - rapidograph). It is still dull and in the need for character (including background, shadows and so on). You can compare its size with a simple CD.

Here I have finished the "bomb-box". I should blame designers for making those walls colored only from one side. I had to paint them all. Moreover I didn't like the printing flaw. As you can see, there is a color mismatch. And such mismatch exists ONLY on this part. It is more a graduation between normal and mismatched color... But it is so visible. Why this part??? Why!!? And only I have such a problem, for example Tino's He-111 was smooth :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And... I made a second "green-house" section. Despite the fact that this is a very complex part, I managed to make it.. well... so-so

[​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck! ;)
    --