Heinkel He-111 (GPM, 1:33)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Mindaugas, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hallo,

Thanks for comments =) You really don't pity kind words :wink:
    And just be patient. Greenhouse will be soon :)

Now some progress:

Everything just "thrown into one pile". Seams will match better, but as I checked, it can do even better... well - shortage of experience. Also I managed to spoil a little that blue bottom area of the fuselage. Since color is rather light, just a little drop of glue or whatever else can make an ugly smear. Lack of experience again. The same is with P-38's bottom. One thing makes me happier, that when everything will be in place, those smears won't attract one's attention very much :p It seems, that I wash hand often enough, but I think i need rubber gloves :rotwerd:

[​IMG]

And I finished tail parts. Everything was glued with that holy yellow "Moment". You must cover BOTH parts with it. Let a minute or two to dry. Then you can easily touch the glue without even smearing your fingers - it seems that glue is dried, but for real - it is not. And when you touch the parts - they bind hell strong. I nearly teared one of my parts, when I was trying to deattach it after positioning incorrectly. So this should be handled with care and everything will be brilliant. Besides this, glue does not moist (and deform) paper. It has no water in composition, because it is nitro based glue. One more thing, that should be cared - are these elastic glue "strings", but if you find the right way how to work with, they won't be a problem anymore . Even if a string falls on part, you can easily take it off.

[​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck! ;)
    --
  2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Wow, I cannot even comprehend using a contact adhesive on a paper model! For me, the whole thing would have to go in the trash bin due to misalignment before very long - you are a brave man!

Rick
  3. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

Thank you very much for nice comments. They are the main "engine", that pushes me further, motivates and makes me get better :)

I've been absent for a while, but model was progressing. Just it was nothing new to show here.

So I started my favourite place - the cockpit. The edges of the seat are sanded and rounded. Seat is awaiting for general painting. The "wire-seat" is unfinished also. Moreover, some detalization for all these parts awaits. At least I will make safety belts according to real photos.
    [​IMG]

Fuselage. I would like to have nicer seams. Besides, blue bottom is blotted in some places. I still lack some skills. The color is quite light, and I always have to spoil it :/ I must be more careful about that.
    [​IMG]

Tailwheel well. You can see, that the main seam is quite ugly. I lack nicety. In addition, I have read, that paper edge, before connecting, must be sanded (like this /), than just straight cut out with knife (like this |). So this way, the paper will connect much more precisely. Paper thickness is the main problem here.
    [​IMG]

One of the segments. With a gunner nest and many windows. I added frames to panel instruments (like I did in SR-71 or P-38). Those instruments were framed with painted wire. Glass was imitated by putting a drop of Humbrol ClearFix.
    [​IMG]

Thats all ;). Now I will have less time than before, but I won't stick. Well, I had holiday since Christmas (January was our university's exam session, but it was very easy for me, since I have finished all subjects before Christmas. My average mark is 9.8 :) ) This disbalanced me a little bit. Now back to routine, but routine has good influence on humans :p
    Good luck! ;)
    --
  4. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

Now I want to ask your help. I need interior photos. Please help.
    I've found plenty of He-111 photos, I also have some literature, but there are mostly exterior or diorama positioning photographs :( For example, I need the back view of instrument panels, pilot's seat, etc. - this is a rarity :)

Photos can be even from another model (like this photo):

[​IMG]

This is the best photo I've found... Besides, pilot's seat is different, that given in GPM magazine (mine, and this plastic plane are both H6). I'm getting confused :rotwerd:

Thank you for help. Good luck! ;)
    --
  5. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

6. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

Toddlea, thank you for the pictures :)

However, pictures are still needed, since I acquired not all the information I needed.
    I found out about plastic model - it is from Monogram. Well, Monogram is not the No. 1 producer in the world, and it may have some misunderstandings and mistakes.

So I‘ve allready noticed some differences between GPM and Monogram – for example gunner‘s/bomber‘s „beds“ are different. Pilot seats are completely different too. I don‘t know whose fault is here: GPM, Monogram, or that plastic modeller (I haven‘t done anything yet :D, but with such a lack of information I will make larks too...).

I‘ve noticed, that some modellers here are very interested in historical accuracy. I‘m getting sick with this disease too.. :roll: I am looking, searching and reading. I‘m curious about how everything looked like, how everything was done, where everything was placed and so on :) . Currently I am curious about interiors (engines, landing gears, wheel wells, etc. too), but I suspect, that soon I will put such emphasis on whole model (I mean exterior). But not now :)

OK, so if you find anything interesting, please show here. I appreciate your help very much :)

And some progress:

This technique is very helpful not to loose small parts. I use double sided adhesive tape. Moreover, it is very comfortable to paint those smals parts when they are attached. And even this tape can be used to laminate frameparts on card! This tape is VERY thin and is great for thickening parts.
    Oh, and without proper photographs of bomber's „bed“ and that brown seat, I have allready improvized... Oh well...
    [​IMG]

Close-up. A little revolution in edge coloring. I paint them AFTER the part was glued together. This applies to smaller parts, while bigger ones should be painted before glueing.
    I have glued them edge-to-edge (without connecting stripes) with contact adhesive (that yellow moment). Very easy and quick. I love that glue :)
    [​IMG]

Seat. Still not finished. I need safety-belts :/ OH! And compare this seat to plastic one. Fiasco!
    [​IMG]

Hmmm, I don‘t even imagine, how those instrument „cups“ should looke like. What size, shape and so on..
    [​IMG]

I don‘t know what this instrument is for.
    I did not like Humbrol ClearFix for making glassy look. Why? When I made frame, and filled it with ClearFix everything looked smooth, but when it dried, it settled down and became coarse. So then got angry and inserted the small circle made from clear plastic sheet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck! ;)
    --
  7. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Maybe one of these is what you are looking for?
    If you let me know specifically what you need, maybe I have a pic of it for you :)

SteveK

Attached Files:

8. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Townsman, thank you so much. You are awesome.

Pics are so great, they helped me a lot. :lol:
    If I need anything more, I will ask. But for now - a BIG THANKS!
  9. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Mindaugas,

After seeing your pics of the instrument panel and cockpit, I think these will be more helpful. The rear view isn't as good as the other one but it's all I could find.

I have pics of the engines, landing gear and wheel wells also. I can scan other interior pics also, just let me know what you want to see :-D

SteveK

Attached Files:

10. 57townsman

57townsman Member

A couple more...

Attached Files:

11. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Not to hijack the thread but Wow SteveK! :shock: Where did you get your pics? Did you take them? Presumably this is a restoration. If so, do they have a website? Great pictures.

Elliott
  12. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

The Deutsche Museum in Munich has a He-111 in restoration. They might have some photos on their website.
  13. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Sorry, I can't take any credit for the pictures. I'm cheating actually :oops: they are scanned from Aero Detail #18 Heinkel He-111. This was published in 1997 by Dai Nippon Kaiga. They photo documented several variants in Norway, Spain, and Britain. Excellent resources for modelers :grin:

SteveK
  14. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

Thanks townsman once again. All that information helped allready (or going to help in the near future)

So now - a little update :) Currently I am detailing interior of cockpit. I am really thankful for pictures and schemes, that you (and other guys from kartonbau and lithuanian forum) provided.

Seat and "bed". Seat is still unfinished. At least I found out how to attach belts (see that incision in the middle of the back-support - this is the belts' "root")

[​IMG]

Instruments' framies. I made them from PC network cords. Those copper wires inside are really thin and suitable for such work. In the background you can see seatbelts being prepared.

[​IMG]

Painted. I love that adhesive tape (Leif's method :p)

[​IMG]

These framies weren't used. Mostly because of incorrect thickness (this was before I discovered PC network wires).

[​IMG]

Pilot's main panel. I made a little scratchbuilding (according to this scheme: http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/AirWar/01/Draw/10.jpg ). That white material is plastic styrene sheets, that plastic modelers use for scratchbuilding. They come in various thicknesses. Superb material because of its solidity, even in such scale. In this case, paper would get frayed immediately.

[​IMG]

And future plans. I am going to finish the panel soon and start building the panel's back side. I will use plenty of materials, because those instruments' cups come in various diameters. For bigger (and square shaped) ones I will use paper. For smaller I will use various cords' plastic insulations and so on. I will do this according to superb photos from townsman :) You really provided me with some nice panel back's shots. Moreover, I will do some wiring, that come from those cups to interior walls. Well, I'm not sure where they travel, but I will try to find out.

Thats all. Good luck! ;)
    --
  15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Mindaugas,

Thanks for the tip on sticking stuff on tape to paint it. Brilliant, yet simple!

Looking awesome...

Rick
  16. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

Hey thanks rlwhit ;)

Since me, and my friend are doing the same model at this momemt (with the very similar techniques), so we share our work and experience afterwards :) He will use my experience how I built fuselage, while I will look how he assembled those really tricky wings. I think, such sharing can really help to avoid upcomming disasters :p

So today I've nearly finished instrument panels. Only glasses are left to insert. I searched for many methods how to make glass, but the best one is to use hole puncher and plastic clear sheet. For example, I did not like Clearfix, because after drying it sags down and becomes rough. Enamel and acryl varnishes are not suitable too. I didn't like the result either. And one method was nail varnish. It might seem good, but when it dryes, it becomes like lens and simpy distort the view. So I will make small clear circles and then insert them into framies with PVA. One such circle can be seen in my photo. Oh, and when punching them with those hole punchers, one gets bossy. Thats ideal for instrument glazing!
    Furthermore I want to tell what I did. I have attached those wire frames with superglue. And then I painted the insrument insides in black and added needles and other stuff with 000 paintbrush or even needle (or the end of toothpick). I also wanted to add screws, that are used to attach each instrument, but I assumed, that this is SOOO much work, so much time wasted, and the result can be unsatisfactory, because you always get messed in such scale. Oh, and I remembered, that we are building "frauds" and cannot make 100% real copies. So I calmed down, and made it as it seems best for me.
    About historical accuracy. It was very very difficult to determine which source is the best. Townsman's photos show one, GPM is offering second, my black'n'white schemes show third, and IL-2 Sturmovik computer game shows fourth! (additionally, He-111 pilot's secondary panel looks absolutely different in IL-2 Sturmovik - see! And we call those games "simulators" :D :D Offcourse, that game is awesome)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Townsman's photos. Instrument situating is a little bit different than in that black'n'white scheme. But mostly I was refering to these photos, while those hanging "appendicitis" were made according to those schemes. So.. as you see - a little bit of improvization :p Eh.. whatever..

Townsman. Can you tell me, which HE-111 version is this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IL-2 game. That overhead panel is absolutely different than GPM offers. Because I found a round 0 information about that overhead panel, I left as it is. Only I've added frames. The same situation with the throttle quadrant (it is still without sticks)

[​IMG]

And now, time comes for back "cups". I will try to do them according to those photos plus my improvisation :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is difficult to judge, because different information sources are showing different facts. :)

Thats all. Good luck! ;)
    --
  17. David H

David H Member

I am pretty sure that last photo is a Spanish 1950s built training aircraft used in the film the Battle of Britain! I think it has 2 control positions!

I don't think you should beat yourself up about the historical accuracy too much. We spend our life fabricating a truth or best guess history!

The quality of your work more than matches and out-weighs any historical accuracy gap! Thre were so many different He III variants I get dizzy!

I am awed by the quality your work!

David
  18. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Wow, awesome. And really - look at the engine cowling: it has text and symbols about Battle of Britain movie. Thanks David. If not you - I would have done that messy bunch of wires without any reason :p And thanks for nice words ;)
  19. David H

David H Member

I would like to say I identified the Rolls Royce Merlin series 60 (or what ever, life is too short) but It was the little camera symbol and words!

D
  20. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

You are trully genned-up about such things like this engine, that you quicly realized the wrong manufacturer in seconds :) Even in such unclear photography.