Heavy Mountain Tender Light

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

There seems to be some fairly skilled guys showing their work here. Maybe you all can help.

I got me a spanking-new Bachmann 4-8-2...Great loco, but that tender....First, I'd like to "dress it up" by putting a rear light on it. Is this prototypical?? If so, how would I go about it? Also, the trucks look really "flimsy" for such a large tender. Any suggestions? I'd like to get the tender up to the same standard as the loco.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Gus (LC&P).:wave:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
A back-up light would be prototypical for this loco. Check Cal Scale or Precision Scale to find one that matches your prototype, or if you're freelancing, pick a headlight/back-up light that you like. If you are freelancing, equipping all of your locos with similar headlights and also back-up lights can give your roster a "family" appearance. The back-up light was normally lit only when the loco was reversing. If you want to illuminate the light, someone else can probably tell you how to do it, since I do not use working lights. On some road engines like yours, the back-up lights were quite small, whereas most switchers had fairly large ones. The trucks on your tender are probably Andrews tender trucks, quite appropriate for this application. You could also use the high speed drop-equalizer trucks from the Bachmann USRA light Mountain. They're available separately from Bachmann. If you want to dress up the tender, you can add rerailers, tool boxes, extra handrails along the sides of the bunker or around the cistern, or extended coal boards on the bunker.
This is a Bachmann USRA light Mountain, altered to suit my free-lanced EG&E. The tender has the high speed trucks to which I referred, and I've altered the coal bunker, added handrails, a tool box, and a back-up light.

EG-E_48072.jpg

If you go to my thread about "A solution to that pesky ground foam", the last two pictures show another loco and tender with some other ideas for dressing up a tender. The trucks on this tender are Andrews tender trucks. This tender started out the same as the one on my light Mountain: I shortened it by 4' and applied the clear-vision bunker, then detailed it following the practices of another free-lance road.

Wayne