Having trouble with downloading Track Drawing Software

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I have recently downloaded the Atlas Right Track software and it is telling me that is can not run the program because it can not find it on my computer. I can't figure out why it is doing this. I have removed it and redownloaded it again but it still keeps coming up and saying it can not run the program. I followed the steps. Am i doing something wrong? Could someone please help me out on this?

Mathew,

Do you mean the RTS program will not install or that it will not run at all, or that it is looking for some more files. RTS is not very smart (But I used it for my layout and liked it.) and sometimes you will have to point it to the track libraries, etc.

If it's looking for files, direct it to the /program files/RTS/ directory.

scottg28

Nov 4, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
Are you trying to start it from a shortcut created during install? If so maybe the location was corrupted, so try starting from the Start -> Programs menu. If this doesn't work, Go directly to Right Track folder and double the icon to start it. Hope one of those will help

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
LiveSteamer said:
That's the problem then, I have Windows XP on this computer. Thanks for the heads up Robin. :wave: :wave:
No can't be the problem as i have XP on this system and it works fine for me.

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
I'bve found that trying to open a .rts file directly gets that error.

If thats what you're doing start the RTS program, then open the file from within RTS.

Otherwise, re-download it and re-install.

Nscalemodeler

Aug 10, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
LiveSteamer,

I also use Right Track with Windows XP and have had no problems. Have you checked to see if it installed properly. You can verify this going to the control panel and then add/remove programs. If it's listed then remove it and try reinstalling it, if it isn't listed, then it didn't install correctly and I would try installing it from the beginning. Good luck.

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
Ok, try this. on the program shortcut on your desktop (create one iof you don't have one), right click on it, go to properties, then compatibility and check the box "run this program in compabitibily mode for:" and select win 98. if that doesn't fix it, something on your PC is wacky.

wlee

Apr 20, 2001
Visit site
i've tried to run this program on both my 98 machines and get the same error on each one:

Exception EReadError in module RTS.EXE at 0000CCB3
Error reading PrintDialog1.Copies: There is no default printer currently selected

It appears to be looking for a printer - is this totally necessary?
Any way around it?

From the RTS HELP file FAQ:

THE SOFTWARE WON’T OPEN BECAUSE I DON’T HAVE A PRINTER CONNECTED TO MY SYSTEM AND IT IS LOOKING FOR ONE
You can still use the software if you don’t have a printer. You have to ”trick” the software by installing any printer and related driver into your system following Windows ”Add a Printer” instructions (look in Windows ”Help” file for instructions).

wlee

Apr 20, 2001
Visit site
jwmurrayjr said:
From the RTS HELP file FAQ:
THE SOFTWARE WON’T OPEN BECAUSE I DON’T HAVE A PRINTER CONNECTED TO MY SYSTEM AND IT IS LOOKING FOR ONE
You can still use the software if you don’t have a printer. You have to ”trick” the software by installing any printer and related driver into your system following Windows ”Add a Printer” instructions (look in Windows ”Help” file for instructions).

Jim,thanks for the info.
I checked the website before posting and their site had only five q's/a's on the FAQ page and none of them mentioned this.
After reading your post i went back for another look and still couldn't see it.
Maybe i'm looking in the wrong spot.

Anyway,thanks again for the info :thumb:

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Ok everyone i finally got to download the Atlas right track on my computer and now i can start to use it. :D :D It is going to take me awhile to get used to it so i will not have a track plan right off the bat. I will post a couple of the track plans i will be making up when i get them done. I thank everyone who has given me advise on how to get this up and running. All's it took for me to download it completely was to crash the computer and now i can run it. Thanks again to everyone that has given me advise. :wave: :wave: :wave: