she'll probably spend far more time and money getting her assets fixed
wink.gif
and then the day comes when the station no longer wants the has been
cry.gif
in front of the camera.

That will be the day she finally grows up
biggrin.gif

Hobbies are for enjoyment, so enjoy.

To hell with the grand army let it march (right off the cliff following the lemmings)
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Single and living with your mother? Like that's supposed to be a BAD thing??!! ROFL!!!!

I guess I could have stayed in my crappy marriage where I never got to do much of the things I wanted, with a lout who was completely lacking in imagination. Instead, here I am at mom's, she loves my models and often mentions that I always liked miniatures even as a kid. I also play video games (time wasters? you bet, but fun), garden with my mom who loves that too, paint occasionally, design fonts, book covers, and teach at the local university part time. My life is more full now than it ever has been, and model railroading is a big part of that.

Ain't no blonde bimbo on some lame sitcom going to ruin MY day!!!!! Whoooo hoooo! Three cheers for model RRing and all the intelligent, imaginative people that do it!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Val

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Val,More then likely that blonde bimbo spends time doing nothing not even calling her mother on Mothers Day.All three of my Sisters think I waste time on the hobby and playing video games..Oh well let them watch hours of TV after work..Who is really wasting time here?

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Actually, that bimbo probably spent 2 hours on her makeup, 1 on her hair, another on her nails, a 3-hour trip to the tanning salon, 2 hours getting botox and the rest of her waking life shopping for clothes. We won't even speculate about the silicon injections.....

Val

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
NYC-BKO said:
I'm sure she landed her job via the casting couch rather than by her IQ, college major ' under the desk special studies ' !!
Hey look, don't put her down altogether. At least we know she has made a effort to learn to read, quite an achievement for a blond of her caliber. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
How could any model railroader live in their parents' basement? Any model railroader with a basement has their MODEL RAILROAD down there, right??

I have yet to have any of my friends belittle my model railroading--they may not have a clear idea of what it is, but they all at least seem to think it's a worthwhile hobby to have, if not their cup of tea.

As for good-looking blondes in their thirties, well, that would be my wife, and while she isn't a model railroader, she likes trains, enjoys frequent trips to railroad museums, and even wants a (small) trolley layout in the living room!

KEEPER!

Jeez, Louise, what a touchy bunch!! :D :D

Take it easy on the announcer, already, after all, this is The Gauge!
Name calling frowned upon :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

She might even be right, ya know :p :p :p

"Single and living with your mother? Like that's supposed to be a BAD thing??!! ROFL!!!!"

I guess I wouldn't take it as an insult, there's worse conditions, like Val says ...

:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

jdscales040

Sep 6, 2004
Wind Gap, PA
www.angelfire.com
Other peoples opinion of my hobby................................ I don't give a "Rat's Behind"...................

"Opinions are like A**Holes..... Everyone has one..... Most of them stink!!!!!

And now a word from our sponser...........

Locobreath

Apr 7, 2004
USA
Visit site
I agree with just about everything that has been said so far and here are some of my own thoughts.

Fred: I don't remember who the blond was. ( I was, er, at my mother's house eating when the TV was on so I didn't get a good look. And yes, I am single.) I know it wasn't E.D. There are so many Fox blondes they all look the same to me.

I really think model railroading is the "king of hobbies." Why? I can't think of any other hobby that requires so many skills such as: electrical wiring, wood working skills, artistic skills, knowledge of architecture, geography, history, physics, knowledge of the various media (wood, plastic, resins) and how to paint and weather them, etc. The list goes on and on. This might make a separate forum topic.

I hoped that at some point in my life time someone would change the public's perception of the hobby and change it into the art form that it really is. I think George Sellios came awfully close to doing this as his layout may go into the Smithsonian Museum at some point.

The hobby is about fun but it is more than that for me. I have a great respect for people who can build things with their hands. That is one reason I got into the hobby many years ago. I get great satisfaction out of taking a pile of basswood sticks and turning it into a beautifully, weathered structure. This is what the hobby is for me. In this age of video-games, computers and people who worship at the Church of Instant Gratification, model railroading requires hard earned skills. The challenge is to out-do the last thing you built, to make something look as real as life. It is an art form. It is three dimensional art.

As for the blonde anchor, just a few years from now, when her boiler starts to leak, her pistons need to be replaced, her headlight dims and she gets that greasy, grimey, weathered patina after years of service on the mainline, she will wind up on some abandoned siding just a shell of her former self. She would do well to find a sympathetic model railroader to bring her back to life. :) :) :)

My rant is over. Thanks for all the great replies. :wave: :wave: :wave:

Locobreath

Apr 7, 2004
USA
Visit site
I agree with just about everything that has been said so far and here are some of my own thoughts.

Fred: I don't remember who the blond was. ( I was, er, at my mother's house eating when the show was on so I didn't get a good look. And yes, I am single.) I know it wasn't E.D. There are so many Fox blondes they all look the same to me.

I really think model railroading is the "king of hobbies." Why? I can't think of any other hobby that requires so many skills such as: electrical wiring, wood working skills, artistic skills, knowledge of architecture, geography, history, physics, knowledge of the various media (wood, plastic, resins) and how to paint and weather them, etc. The list goes on and on. This might make a separate forum topic.

I hoped that at some point in my life time someone would change the public's perception of the hobby and change it into the art form that it really is. I think George Sellios came awfully close to doing this as his layout may go into the Smithsonian Museum at some point.

The hobby is about fun but it is more than that for me. I have a great respect for people who can build things with their hands. That is one reason I got into the hobby many years ago. I get great satisfaction out of taking a pile of basswood sticks and turning it into a beautifully, weathered structure. This is what the hobby is for me. In this age of video-games, computers and people who worship at the Church of Instant Gratification, model railroading requires hard earned skills. The challenge is to out-do the last thing you built, to make something look as real as life. It is an art form. It is three dimensional art.

As for the blonde bimbo. Just a few years from now, when here boiler starts to leak, her pistons need to be replaced and she gets that greasy, grimey, weathered patina after years of service on the mainline, she will wind up on some abandoned siding just a shell of her former self. She would do well to find a sympathetic model railroader to bring her back to life.

My rant is over. Thanks for all the great replies.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Well guys I think it has all been said and then some. I guess for those of us that work in offices try putting up a real nice picture of the layout and see how people react. The truth is that the value of a hobby is what you get out of it, if it makes you happy or challenges you to keep your mind sharp after retirement so be it. I like Don(not bad typing for a one handed guy) think that all the overpriced ball players all egotistical beyond belief. I havent bought a ticket to support their habit for many many years. 2 c Pat

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Locobreath said:
I was watching Fox Cable News this past weekend. There was a brief segment about a middle age man who brought his Lionel Trains to work to show them to his co workers as part of a show-your-hobby day. When it was over the blonde, thirty-something female anchor added the following catty remark: I'll bet the guy is single and lives at home with his mother!

Whew!! Is that what people think of us? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Any comments from forum members? What is the worst thing someone said to you about our hobby?

Well, I'll just say that it is about what I expect from Faux News.
:p :p

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
spitfire said:
Actually, that bimbo probably spent 2 hours on her makeup, 1 on her hair, another on her nails, a 3-hour trip to the tanning salon, 2 hours getting botox and the rest of her waking life shopping for clothes. We won't even speculate about the silicon injections.....

Val
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Val,I had thoughts on such things but,as a officer and gentleman... :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I have but one regreat about getting into model railroading. That being that I should have started years earlier. I was way too busy making a living, and I think MRR would have provided an outlet that eased the tensions while still being productive. Well, maybe I have two regets. The second is that I've still got a couple of weeks in a sling and a few months of therapy to look forward to before I can get back to working on my layout. Coming along nicely though, but chomping at the bit. :thumb: :thumb:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
ezdays said:
I have but one regreat about getting into model railroading. That being that I should have started years earlier. I was way too busy making a living, and I think MRR would have provided an outlet that eased the tensions while still being productive. Well, maybe I have two regets. The second is that I've still got a couple of weeks in a sling and a few months of therapy to look forward to before I can get back to working on my layout. Coming along nicely though, but chomping at the bit. :thumb: :thumb:

:) :) Hurry up & Heal!!!! :) Working on the layout is good therapy!! :D get Well Soon!!! :)