Has anyone ever seen this book...

jasbourre

If you have done some model railroad internet search you must have come across this book. "Ultimate Guide To Model Trains".

I just want to know if anyone has perchased this ebook, and what they think about it.

Any comments about it would be good.

3.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Sorry jasbourre...

Have not read it, come across it, or heard of the author.

I find that back issues of MR, RMC, etc provide a lot of good information. I get them for $0.25 to $0.50 each at the local club or train store. I have an "eclectic" collection that dates from 1946 to 2006. I have only paid full price for about a dozen of them.

Combined with The Gauge ;) this approach has always given me the info I need.

Hope that helps.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Haven't read it. But, then, I haven't been looking for it either. Why ? Good question. I went to my "library" and realized that, except for one book my kids gave me, I have no books on Model Railroading. All my books are about prototypes, the real thing!
I have always looked to reality for inspiration for my models. Part of that may be because I never played with toy trains. When I started in the hobby, I started as a model builder. most of my first layout was scratchbuilt, and there were elements of my " environment " included in the scenery. The kits that were part of my first layout ( http://www.the-gauge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1199&d=1022536398 ) were gifts from family.
Yes, I was also inspired by folk like John Allen, and Jack Work, but that was for technique, and ways that reality could be miniaturized, more than actual layout building. Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman, Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette, and the other magazines I have, I saved for the prototype plans and data that were there. The few exceptions are the more brillliantly executed model scenes, that I really liked.
I guess I've always stumbled to the beat of a different drummer, but that is how I approach modelbuilding, whether it is a model of a B&O boxcar, or the topography of a specific area, or a ficticious ( skipping 86 pages of how I researched Surprise, from "Master and Commander" ) sailing ship.
While I wouldn't be seeking this book, it may contain just the things you are looking for. Even if there is only one page of value to you, that's a page you don't have now. It never hurts to have reference material, go for it !
Pete