Has anyone ever made one of these?

CPRSD40-2

I have never seen a model of this, just wondered if anyone else has? Dows anyone know what it is used for? I'm thinking branch line service?

Attachments

• save0003.jpg
    save0003.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 279

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I havent made one yet CPRSD40-2
Looks like it could be done with two units kit bashed. I would like to have one on my layout someday soon.

Tileguy

Hey, that must be the new Granola Hopper.You get you granola on one side, your milk in the other.Handy at Super Bowl Parties:D

K.V.Div

That puppy was built for grain service between The Pas and Churchill, in northern Manitoba, because CN felt that standard 100 ton cylindrical grain hoppers were too heavy for the job and that the 40ft boxcars needed replacement with something with more grain capacity.
The result was an articulated car comprising 2 carbodies sitting on 3 trucks. Built in 1985, only one, #398000, was ever built for grain service.
Another, #399000 was built for potash service and I am not sure where they currently are.
After The line was sold and re-named the Hudson Bay Railway, the new owners found that the line was actually able to handle the 100 ton cars with no problem after all.:)
If a model does exist of this car, it would be in brass and probably only in HO scale, so a kitbash would be your only option if you want one in N Scale.
Cheers!

Terry

DanRaitz

I did a quick search on www.index.mrmag.com under "CN" "COVERED HOPPER", There have been a few articles on this car. The August '86 issue of Mainline Modeler has a drawing and the February '87 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman has a kitbashing article.
So when are we going to see an "N Scale" one? :D :D

Dan

SD90

I didn't know when I took that picture that that was a one of a kind car! I guess I was lucky to have my camera that day! Now, I really want ONE of those on my layout! Good info MagicMan_841! Thnks.

MagicMan_841

I think a kitbash using an Atlas 4-Bay Hopper and a IM Cylindrical (e.g. buy an undec kit, don't waste a nice car) would work.