Hare with Tortoise

mentor63

I am interested in using Hare's with my tortoise switch machines. I found some older threads, but would like to know if anyone has any recent experience with them. Thanks, Gary

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Gary,

What sort of info are you looking for? I know a few guys who have this paring installed on their modules or layouts, and there are no complaints...

Andrew

mentor63

Andrew,

I bought a few of the Hare's, but have not installed them yet. Since I do not plan to have large operating sessions, I would like to simplify operations where I can. I might like to program Hares at critical turnouts so I can throw several of them at the same time to allow a segment of track to run unattended. I saw an article about how you could program the Hare's to define various routes and then address them all to go to the desired position to permit one input to setup a route. Essentially, it sounded like they could be programmed so that you could use your DCC cab to address them all to go to progam "X" and they would move to the correct position (which you programmed earlier) to get the train from point A to point B.

Also the auto-throw feature sounds good if it would throw a turnout when an oncoming train is sensed and I had overlooked moving a turnout as needed.

Mainly I am just interested in general satisfaction with the Hare, reliability, complexity, and any comparisons with competing equipment. What about the Wabbit?

Thanks, Gary

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Gary,

It is possible to do all those things you listed. The DCC guru (Paul) at our club has set up his modules with "routes" controlled by a single "throw" - i.e. you pick "Route 12" and several turnouts all throw to set the route. Paul used to leave an extra throttle at the modules - we use Digitrax, and throwing the turnouts from some of the throttles is quite "keypad intensive" while simultaneously operating a loco...! At the most recent set-up, he was running the turnouts via JMRI's software (I think) as well as monitoring the whole network (LocoNet) from his laptop.

It is possible as you note to take this further and combine it with CTC-type operations, signalling, and train detection.

There are several people with Tortoise turnouts at the club, some operated by electrical switches; only Paul does it via decoders (i.e. Hare).

But all have proven reliable, and there are no reported problems.

I realize that much of this info is now "third-hand" as it reaches you, but I hope that it helps. You might try searching yahoo or google groups for discussion forums specific to the Tortoise and it's various "accessories". I don't know if such a thing exists, but I do know the yahoo Digitrax group is an excellent resource.

Andrew

mentor63

Andrew,

Thanks a bunch. That is just what I was looking for. I will have to get more into the instructions that come with the Hare when I am ready to set them up, but now I can plan it out. Thanks again. Gary