Hardtimes Grocery Store

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Very nice work, Vic!:cool: :cool:
I love all the signage, & the front porch detail!
How did you build it?

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Thanks for the compliments

The little store is built from Northeastern HO scale lumber and the windows are from Grandt Line. The sign are dry transfers from Woodland Scenics. The watermellons, dog (he's too big) and veggies were carved from that modeling clay that you heat in the oven to harden it. The tarpaper roof is made from strips of newsprint colored with washes of Floquil driftwood, grimy black and roof brown. The screen in the double screen door is brass mesh from Clover House There's no interior. The sign was made on the computer. The porch roof is Campbell metal roofing The rear has a large delivery door but I didn't show that as I felt I might be taking up too much room on here as it was.

No prototype on this one...I tend to just make up stuff, sketch it out and build it.

Glad you guys liked it and I'll post more stuff later on.

PS: The "lady" in the red dress plays the piano in the saloon next door to the grocery:D :p

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Beautiful work, Vic!

I have a list of questions:

1. Did you build the walls board-by-board or did you use sheets of "siding?"

2. How did you get the weathered effect on the store sign? Did you print it that way or do something to it afterward?

3. Do the lights out front work?

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
For Rory

Thanks for the questions on the grocery store. The construction is board on board and not sheet siding. I did "fudge" just a bit though since I did not plan to model an interior. I first built a "shell" of the building out of light bristol board, reinforced the corners and walls with square stock, cut out the window and door openings and then applied individual boards to the outside using plain old white glue. The trick to this is to butt the boards tight against each other. Kind of a "down and dirty" method but it works well.

The exterior lights do not work. They are "dummies" from Grandt Line. Wish they did!!!:eek: The corbels on the false front are also from Grandt Line.

The sign was made on the computer using the Paint program in Windows. Its simply glued to a piece of .005 styrene, framed out and glued to the building. Actually the "dirty" look of the sign was unintentional:eek: The result of an accident!!! Before mounting it to the building I spilled some blackwash...thinned India Ink on it. I attempted to wipe it off and what you see is the result:D Just let it go because the color cartridge in my printer was empty:p :p